Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 gallon BIAB water - wort volume musings

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
garethliam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 1 gallon BIAB water - wort volume musings

So, I was looking into my numbers for my last batch and want to compare with what other people have experienced.

Start volume =2.6g
After 1 hr boil, wort volume = 1.5g

Transferred to fermenter. I transferred this to a secondary after 2 weeks, total fermenting beer is now 1 gallon. 0.5 gallons seems a lot to lose in the trub, I was hoping to come out with 1.25 gallons.

Next time I won't be transferring to a secondary - I learned that this isn't really necessary. Any other thoughts or suggestions for next time I brew a small scale BIAB?

Oh, and btw, this was for a dry stout recipe, which I hope will be drinkable and tasty by St Patty's day!
Recipe - http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/gran...eys-stout-biab
My OG was 1.044, beer is just about ready to bottle, FG 1.012

Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethliam View Post
So, I was looking into my numbers for my last batch and want to compare with what other people have experienced.

Start volume =2.6g
After 1 hr boil, wort volume = 1.5g

Transferred to fermenter. I transferred this to a secondary after 2 weeks, total fermenting beer is now 1 gallon. 0.5 gallons seems a lot to lose in the trub, I was hoping to come out with 1.25 gallons.

Next time I won't be transferring to a secondary - I learned that this isn't really necessary. Any other thoughts or suggestions for next time I brew a small scale BIAB?

Oh, and btw, this was for a dry stout recipe, which I hope will be drinkable and tasty by St Patty's day!
Recipe - http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/gran...eys-stout-biab
My OG was 1.044, beer is just about ready to bottle, FG 1.012
No idea why you lost so m uch to trub. I do 2 gallon batches and only loose about 0.3 to the grain about 0.75 to the boil and about 0.25 to the fermenter trub. These are AG brews.

Bottle Conditioning: Düsseldorf Altbier
Bottle Conditioning: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Bottled in the refer: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 983

This does seem off...I do 1 gallon in the fermentor, and secondary, and still get around .85 gallons going into bottles. What are you doing with your hydrometer readings?

Also, when I siphon to a secondary, I make sure I get nearly every drop of beer out...I cold crash so the trub is pretty tight to begin with but by the time I get to the end, I have the black stopper of the auto-siphon deep in the trub. I get a little through but since I cold crash the secondary as well, its still crystal clear by the time I bottle.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
garethliam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the responses.. I'm beginning to wonder how I managed to lose so much!

Hydrometer readings:
In the Secondary - I'm sticking the (sanitized) hydrometer directly into the fermented.
OG reading: I did siphon some off into a hydrometer steal when transferring from boil -> primary. The sample didn't get put back into the fermenter. Guess I lost more wort that way.. but, I had got to taste it, right!

This was my first time doing AG BIAB so still learning the process. Will definitely cold crash the next time I do this so that the trub is compacted down more when I go to rack. Yes, there will always be a next time!