Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew Tree Structure

Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
BrewHogDeluxe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

Default Brew Tree Structure

I'm new here....so first off Hello
I'm getting ready to dive into all grain brewing by building my own brew tree. I have done a lot of research and got some great ideas. Probably go with a 3 tier system just to reduce the foot print in my garage.
I have one issuue...is it better to keep the whole structure lower by using a pump to pump the wort into my primary or to make it a little taller and go all gravity. I know the pump can also be used for recirc back into the mash tun also, but it still leaves me wondering if it is worth the extra $150 for the pump.
Any other do's and don't will be greatly appreiciated also.
Thanks,
Garry

Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Cummins9320
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The pump will help you with the recirc. and in my opinion this will help efficiency and with clarity of your wort. I don't have a pump, but will be adding soon for these reasons. I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler from home depot that I got cheap that works great for mashing. It isn't worth the slight savings to even mess with the 5 gallon models, I feel that with some of the moderate gravity beers I do (up to 1.070), I push the size of the 10 gallon model. Just my 2 cents.

BrewHogDeluxe Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
BrewHogDeluxe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the info, this will help in my decision.

Primary: Coffee Stout
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary:
Secondary:
On Tap: Biker Dust (Zombie Dust Clone)
Bottled: Pumpin Ale, Hefenweizen, Black IPA, Irish Stout

Necessity is the mother of invention....and I choose to invent new beers!!!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
BrewHogDeluxe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Decision Made!!

I think that after all the research that I have done for the last week I have decided to build a HERMS on a table platform and keep the footprint as small as possible.
The main reason is the height at which you have to have the HL tank on a tree, then I started looking at pumps and such and just decided if I'm going to put the investment out I minds well do it right the first time....full throttle!! I will post pics when it is complete.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 985 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I don't have the funds for anything elaborate so I started from the bottom. I took my tallest fermenter and sat it on the floor. I then determined the height of the stand I had to make (2X4's and plywood) to set my SP10 on to get the valve on my kettle at the right height. I then did the same to position my mash tun (10 gallon igloo cooler). Then on to the HLT which is another 10 gallon pot on top of a turkey fryer burner. My next step is to plumb a line through a filter (Maybe R/O) to fill the HLT without lifting jugs of water. Soon there will be no lifting until the fermenter is full.