Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Constantly getting lower than expected OG and FG, help!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
4traindays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Constantly getting lower than expected OG and FG, help!

Could this be the issue? So I start with 3.5 gallons of water to boil, after 60 minutes I end with about 3, then top off with an additional 2. So that totals 5.5 gallons. Is this my problem?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It depends on the recipe, my recipes usually call for a final liquid volume of 5 gal, sometimes 5.25 gal. I may occasionally add a bit top off water to account for the trub displacing some beer, or you may end up with only 4.75 gallons of beer. But if your recipe calls for a total five gallons, and u top off to 5.5, your essentially watering down your beer, which could account for your OG, and FG readings being off.

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4traindays View Post
Could this be the issue? So I start with 3.5 gallons of water to boil, after 60 minutes I end with about 3, then top off with an additional 2. So that totals 5.5 gallons. Is this my problem?
If you are boiling down to 3 then add 2, you have 5, not 5.5. But that should make your gravity higher, not lower.

Extract or all grain? compensating for temperature? mixing well?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I start with 2.5 gallons of water usually, then by the time you have added all your LME, and DME, your boil size is increased by quite a bit, then when I transfer to primary I add one gallon to the bottom of the carboy first, transfer the beer on top of it, then top off to about 5.25 gallons, as I said to account for the trub displacement. If your glass carboy is not marked I strongly suggest doing that with an accurate measuring vessel, if you have a bucket fermenter, and it is pre marked I would suggest double checking the accuracy of those marks, as I found my Ale Pale to not be marked as accurately as it should be. All this is assuming your extract brewing, as boil sizes are bigger with partial mash kits.

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT