Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Planting rhizomes in the wild?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
dmoore714
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
I like your enthusiasm but remember you will probably have to move these barrels someday. Even 1/2 of a barrel is a lot of dirt.
No worries. I have a handtruck. I get what you mean though. My 10gallon mash tun full of water is heavy enough. I'd hate to try to move a 25gallon barrel full of dirt, without some mechanical assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau View Post
Fenceline ?'s Standarb barbed wire(or non barbed)? How many rows of wire, 1? 2? 3 high?
Standard fencing - not barbed. In some places there is a top row of barbed wire... but we're not keeping cattle anymore (and half of the fence has already fallen down) so I could easily remove the barber wire before planting.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Even more excited about this idea than I was yesterday.

hillhousesawdustco Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If your going to plant em and not visit till harvest(meanin you wont be there to run mor strings) Id also attach a few runners to any trees or anything else high near the fence. Given stuff to climb it is amaizing what they will do on their own.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
browder
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I plan on doing the same thing I just don't want Hop's in my yard is all--I'm gonna plant mine within walking distance of my house right in the city it ain't rocket science they'll grow just about anywhere

Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Slight change of plans. I hoped to plant the wild rhizomes when I went home for Easter. Thanks to the super-late shipping from Northern Brewer, I didnt get my rhizomes until just last week. I planted two in containers at my place (as planned). The two that were supposed to go to the farm ended up in my plot at the local community garden instead. It was kinda fun though. Everyone else planted normal garden veggies... tomatos, peppers, herbs, etc. I stood out like a sore thumb. It will be even worse when I build the trellis

The wild hops will still happen (I hope). One of the guys in the brew club just dug up some crowns that didnt produce well last year. He said they're still growing and I can have them if I want. I'll take them home next time I go to the farm.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I grow in the South Carolina Midlands and while I don't have the same elevation as you, I'll go ahead and give my advice, grow C-hops, cascades are amazing down here, don't grow Goldings unless you are up for a good challenge. I haven't gotten a single hop for three years while my Nugget and Cascade plants are doing awesome