Budweiser waters down its beer, lawsuit alleges - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Budweiser waters down its beer, lawsuit alleges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
kpr121
 
kpr121's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,145
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts



http://www.nbcnews.com/business/budw...eges-1C8566405

Anyone seen this? Seems like this would be a fairly simple claim to test.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
liquiditynerd
 
liquiditynerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 683
Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts


I just read that also and jumped on here to see what's up! What a litigation nation. I have empirical evidence from my bladder during college research that I'll withold because of the insanity that AB drinkers actually thought they were drinking beer. It's a Widely known fact that AB flavors all their water with barley.
__________________
....just add water.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
mdgagne
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
South China, Maine
Posts: 277
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


I'm not an AB fan, but I'm not sure I buy this lawsuit. Although the beer that AB makes isn't good (in my opinion) they are very consistent. I'm pretty sure that this "watering down" of the beer is part of their process - they actually brew the beer at a high ABV and water it down at bottling so that they get more beer per unit volume of their brew house. So, for example, they brew 8% bud light but dilute it down to 4% at bottling.

I guess we'll see when/if AB provides more information.
__________________
http://www.malthomebrewclub.org

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Posts: 6,024
Liked 2088 Times on 1310 Posts


have no idea what the label on the bottle/can/keg says the ABV is, but if it's different than what's inside, then the lawsuit has merit
__________________
"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
WesleyS
Registered User
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Posts: 13,516
Liked 4216 Times on 2789 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne
I'm not an AB fan, but I'm not sure I buy this lawsuit. Although the beer that AB makes isn't good (in my opinion) they are very consistent. I'm pretty sure that this "watering down" of the beer is part of their process - they actually brew the beer at a high ABV and water it down at bottling so that they get more beer per unit volume of their brew house. So, for example, they brew 8% bud light but dilute it down to 4% at bottling.

I guess we'll see when/if AB provides more information.
I remember hearing something like that before. I think it's part of their process and they just water it down to their target ABV before packaging and whoever is making this claim against them doesn't understand the process.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
kpr121
 
kpr121's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,145
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
have no idea what the label on the bottle/can/keg says the ABV is, but if it's different than what's inside, then the lawsuit has merit
Exactly. And if that was the case, you would think it would have been reported in the news article.

"In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, Boxer said he has evidence to corroborate the former employees' allegations, but stopped short of saying the beers had been independently tested."

Maybe this story is just in it's infancy so they dont have all the details. Or maybe they are gathering samples to do a full scale widespread testing from as many brewing locations as possible.

Heck for 35 bucks you can have White Labs test it for you:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...-kit-plus.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
kpr121
 
kpr121's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,145
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I remember hearing something like that before. I think it's part of their process and they just water it down to their target ABV before packaging and whoever is making this claim against them doesn't understand the process.
I dont think this is the case. The article specifically mentions the fact that the ABV is not what is reported on the packaging. So they are saying that the beer is 3.5 or whatever, when the label says its 4%.

Its well known that the big brewers make their beer at a higher proof and add water at packaging. Fermentor space is at a premium, especially when you have such demand for your product.

Hey some of us homebrewers do the same thing honestly! Iíve fermented a 4 gallon batch in a corny and then added a gallon during the transfer to new keg. My motive was that it kept the krausen/blowoff under control.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Posts: 6,024
Liked 2088 Times on 1310 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
I dont think this is the case. The article specifically mentions the fact that the ABV is not what is reported on the packaging. So they are saying that the beer is 3.5 or whatever, when the label says its 4%.
this is, as I said, the key to the case

I wouldn't give a rat's rectum if they bottled water and sold it, as long as the label says 0.0% ABV
__________________
"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
old-pasture-brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
old-pasture-brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Boston, MA
Posts: 81
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts


Hey hey hey. Kpr121 how did that 4gal corny fermentation work out? Is there a thread on this. I got two kegs with stripped posts that I can't bare see become planters.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
PJoyce85
 
PJoyce85's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Mainz, Germany
Posts: 1,072
Liked 325 Times on 189 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by old-pasture-brew
Hey hey hey. Kpr121 how did that 4gal corny fermentation work out? Is there a thread on this. I got two kegs with stripped posts that I can't bare see become planters.
I am currently fermenting 2 lagers in corny kegs right now. PM me if you want details

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lawsuit against Bud and others for diluting beer... beerloaf General Beer Discussion 28 03-01-2013 02:14 AM
Budweiser kit into a steam beer? BigBrewHawk Extract Brewing 7 06-07-2011 07:15 PM
Budweiser beer glasses?? JPicasso General Chit Chat 3 06-25-2009 05:53 PM
A Just Lawsuit Ryanh1801 Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 77 04-27-2008 02:19 AM
Budweiser! A seasonal beer? AHammer16 Commercial Brew Discussion 28 12-07-2005 03:12 PM


Forum Jump