Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lager vs ale..

Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
dethmutt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager vs ale..

Still new to brewing, but have seen some kits that say the lager yeast works at ale temps.. Specifically a Munich helles. I have the chiller to lager it, but if its not needed it can house a batch coming off conditioning soon.. Should I lager it or just ferment as an ale?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmutt
Still new to brewing, but have seen some kits that say the lager yeast works at ale temps.. Specifically a Munich helles. I have the chiller to lager it, but if its not needed it can house a batch coming off conditioning soon.. Should I lager it or just ferment as an ale?
A good Helles must be fermented cool then lagered, usually for a few weeks. You can do a diacetyl rest at 60F after a week of fermenting if you want.

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1665

Lager yeast strains will definitely ferment at ale temperatures- but that's not usually the way to make the best tasting lager.

If you want to make a pseudo-lager, you could use a very "clean" ale yeast, like pacman (if you can find it) or nottingham, and ferment at about 60 degrees. That will give a more "lager like" finish to the beer, rather than using a lager yeast at ale temperatures.

If you can ferment at 65 or so, you could use White Labs 001, and that will give you a similar result.

Using a lager yeast at ale temperatures can work, but only with certain strains for good results and it's not usually going to give a lager like finish.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Many lager yeasts work well at higher temps, but the resulting beer has more of the characteristics of an ale. There will be more esters giving what, in a lager, would usually classify as "off flavors."

Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you want to make a pseudo-lager, you could use a very "clean" ale yeast, like pacman (if you can find it) or nottingham, and ferment at about 60 degrees. That will give a more "lager like" finish to the beer, rather than using a lager yeast at ale temperatures.
kolsch yeast is another option. it's meant to be fermented mid 50's to very low 60's. you then need to lager it for a few weeks to get the yeast to drop out (or use finings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Using a lager yeast at ale temperatures can work,
this is steam beer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
dethmutt
Recipes 

Ok so it's time to piss off the wife and load the fridge with the conditioned batch while the Munich helles lagers in the chiller.. Gotcha!!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1655 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Heck, as far as that goes, any yeast will be happy to ferment like nobody's business at 90F, the flavor of the beer is what is at stake.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3024 Times on 2606 Posts
Likes Given: 2137

Or WL029 kolsh yeast. It's a ale/lager hybrid that they say gives a clean,lager like flavor between 65-69F. I'm trying it on one light colored batch & one black. Useing malts that typically are used to make lagers as well as hops can also aid in the illusion.