Do you use yeast nutrient - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do you use yeast nutrient

Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
kevinb

Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I am curious how many of you use yeast nutrient at the end of the boil? Does it really help?

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Brulosopher

Recipes 

Jun 2011
, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

I never have. I know people who do, but I can't tell the difference side by side. I always get great performance from my yeast without it.

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Glaurung30
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Orlando, Florida
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just started using yeast nutrient in my last two batches. I have noticed a significant difference in how active my fermentation is since I have been using it.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts

i've used Wyeast's nutrient ever since my first batch, so i don't have any non-nutrient batches to compare to. i've never had a stalled fermentation, my FG is always where it should be, etc. obviously this is due to many factors but i believe the nutrients are part of the equation.

the stuff is really cheap - a tube cost $3-4 and lasts me over a year. there is no downside to using it, and it can only help.

for me, the question is why not use it?!? seems like a no-brainer!
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA
Liked 302 Times on 255 Posts

I think in general, malt has all the nutrients that yeast need (the exact mineral content in your malt will depend on where/how it was grown). Yeast nutrient certainly won't hurt anything, but probably isn't necessary. Cider or wine might be another story.

I usually put a pinch in with my starters, or towards the end of the boil for a really high OG beer. It makes me feel good but it's probably not doing anything noticeable.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Pittsburgh, Butler
Liked 168 Times on 126 Posts

Use to use it, then I ran out and brewed without it. Didn't notice a bit of difference so I never bought anymore. IMO, it's a waste of time and money.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts

I'll toss in a tablespoon of bakers yeast into the boil for big beers, but apart from that, I don't really in beer. Wines and meads always get a staggered nutrient addition, including plenty in the initial must.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com