Wort to thick for racking cane? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wort to thick for racking cane?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
cheesehed007
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Posts: 744
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts



Today brewed up Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat clone. And after I cooled it the work was to thick for my auto siphon. I had to use it as a pump to get in to my fermenting bucket. Anybody else have this problem? Here's a ingredient list.
3.3# wheat liquid malt extract
3# extra light DME
1# 2-Row brewers malt
1oz Coriander
1 tsp Irish Moss
1.5 oz Galena hops
4oz Blueberry extract

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehed007
Today brewed up Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat clone. And after I cooled it the work was to thick for my auto siphon. I had to use it as a pump to get in to my fermenting bucket. Anybody else have this problem? Here's a ingredient list.
3.3# wheat liquid malt extract
3# extra light DME
1# 2-Row brewers malt
1oz Coriander
1 tsp Irish Moss
1.5 oz Galena hops
4oz Blueberry extract
How much did you boil off to be that thick?
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,702
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts


You probably just plugged it up with hops or break matierial. If it was so thick you coudn't siphon it, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Did you take a gravity reading?
__________________
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.


Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
cheesehed007
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Posts: 744
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

How much did you boil off to be that thick?
Started with 2.5 gal. Ended up at 2 gal. This is only my 4th brew but I've never had this happen before. I figure most of it will settle out in the fermenter bucket.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
cheesehed007
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Posts: 744
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer
You probably just plugged it up with hops or break matierial. If it was so thick you coudn't siphon it, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Did you take a gravity reading?
OG was 1.052. The kit was one my LHBS had put together. The recipe sheet listed no expected OG. The steps were pretty straight forward.
Steep grains 30 min @ 160-170
Bring to boil remove from heat add DME and LME ( I added 1/2 of each) add hops
Boil 60 min
At 15 left add Irish moss ( added other 1/2 of DME and LME)
At 10 min left add coriander.
Not sure what I could have messed up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
BikeAndBrew
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Shreveport, LA
Posts: 50
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Was the vessel you were transferring "to" lower than the one you were transferring "from"?

Maybe a silly question, but just to eliminate all potential problems...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
cheesehed007
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Posts: 744
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeAndBrew
Was the vessel you were transferring "to" lower than the one you were transferring "from"?

Maybe a silly question, but just to eliminate all potential problems...
Yep boil kettle in sink, bucket on floor. Maybe I should have let it awhile, but I had get to work. The temp was under 80 and I had my make up water sitting in the garage so it was cool. Pitched yeast at about 66.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #8
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Cyclman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Aurora, CO
Posts: 6,251
Liked 754 Times on 628 Posts


If it was cooled already, no need to siphon it. Pour it into the fermenter, it will help aerate the wort. If you get any trub into the fermenter, it'll just precipitate out.
__________________
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Why does Happy Hour limit happiness to 1/24 of the day?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
cheesehed007
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Posts: 744
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman
If it was cooled already, no need to siphon it. Pour it into the fermenter, it will help aerate the wort. If you get any trub into the fermenter, it'll just precipitate out.
Thanks, I'll remember that for next time..

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does thick wort = thick beer? cokronk All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 02-16-2012 10:00 PM
Racking without a racking cane or autosiphon conpewter General Techniques 1 01-09-2009 07:38 PM
Use racking cane to aerate wort.... StankAle General Techniques 4 03-12-2008 10:17 PM
Racking cane in boiling wort? Plan9 Equipment/Sanitation 19 03-04-2008 02:16 AM
Racking Cane captaineriv Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-23-2005 03:05 PM


Forum Jump