Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How did you get into home brewing?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
BrewinHooligan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1239 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1604

Started brewing Christmas day 2011 with the Mr Beer kit my wife gave me as a present. I'm very hands on and didn't feel like I was really brewing with their kits, so after 4 Mr Beer batches I jumped into 5gallon all grain batches. I have started enterering competitions and earning medals and basically become obsessed with brewing. Before I started to brew my go-to beer was PBR and boy have my tastes and beer budget expanded since then!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club
Idrum6969 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I had a few buddies that homebrewed in college. So when I graduated and moved for a job, I picked up The Joy of Homebrewing and got started from there.

Primary/Secondary: Canadian Dallas Dark Coffee Ale
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Spicemon1972
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've loved beer since I was 16 and took a two week trip to Europe (The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland & Austria) with my high school choir. When I got home, my dad said "Well, I guess you had some beer while you were over there, so here you go." and handed me a Busch Light in a can. I took one sip, made the bitter beer face and said thanks but no thanks.
Fast forward a few years and I went to college and drank some pretty awful commercial beers - I call this my dark period.
In my 20's I got really interested in good beer and started buying the better craft brews and imports whenever I could. I built up a palette and was enjoying myself quite a bit. Never once did I think of brewing my own.
Add 18 years and my neighbor, also a beer nerd, invites me to a local "learn to brew" day. I was hooked! Within weeks I had bought a starter kit and my first extract kit and it has been pure beer love ever since. I have been brewing for about a year now and I love the whole process - recipe creation, brew day, bottling - each part has become something I do with great joy.
This year, I will be moving to All Grain to gain even more control of the process.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like beer, I was bored one weekend and needed a new hobby.
Since I like to make things, I read about home brewing all weekend and ordered a starter kit on the following Monday.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always wanted to try brewing batch of beer. One night I was watching good eats with my wife and the homebrew episode aired. It re-sparked the interest and I told her I would love to try it one day provided we had room to do so. Well fast forward a few years and a move to a house with enough room.... she remembered and surprised me with a kit for xmas. I have been brewing up a storm ever since starting with extract and worked my way to all grain.
Idrum6969 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Conelrad
Recipes 

Some friends from work homebrew and kept trying to get me into starting myself. I said, why should I start brewing when I can just go your houses and drink your beer!
Well they keep the peer pressure up for a few months and I finally caved. Went straight to kegging and having lots of fun. Have a few trips to the UK and Europe under my belt so I appreciate the "good" beer. It's nice to be able to make it yourself.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

ive always liked beer, have bartended for a decade, and started to talk about doing it in 2010. at that time the only store that sold homebrew supplies was like 40 min away. (boohoo, right? lol)
last summer a great lhbs store opened up literally 1 min from my house! a friend and i brewed partial mash beers at his store and bought the equipment necessary to turn my spare fridge into a kegerator. big outlay, but screw bottling.
as soon as i had my kegerator setup my mind was made up. i dropped a wad of cash on my setup and have brewed a dozen beers since the summer. love it
i daydream of opening a brewpub/restaurant on the reg now. ugh
i love reading about/making beer as much as i enjoy consuming it!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
Idrum6969
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A lot of use got intro brewing for the same reasons. The first time I made beer I was hooked! It has turned into a obsession for me. It is one of the most rewarding labors of love......

Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
E-Bot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well for one my Grampa was a winemaker and was pretty fond of drinking. It makes me feel a little closer to him now that he's gone.

What really got me to get in to it was taking a microbiology class last semester. I was having so much fun with it that I started thinking I needed to have a hobby involving microbiology. My class actually took a tour of Swamp Head brewery and that's when I decided I would make beer instead of trying to culture B. anthracis

Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #30
Butchv12
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got started in the early 90's --- a can of extract and 5 pound bag of sugar. Don't laugh..... you can make a better beer than B/M/C using this method. There were not many shops then and the internet was fairly new --- most of my ingredients came from ads in the back of magazines. Wow have things changed since then.

I started brewing because it was a cheap way to drink beer --- I have continued to brew because it's a fantastic way to always have GOOD beer in the fridge.

I have been all grain for the past 10 years or so, and just recently started making 10 gallon batches.....