Back Sweetin Muscadine Wine - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Back Sweetin Muscadine Wine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
kevinstan
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



What would be the best way to back sweetin my muscadine wine ? It's finished and I will be bottling it next weekend. It finished a little dry and I want to make it a little sweeter. Recipe says glycerin, wine conditioner, or simple syrup with just sugar and water to sweetin it up once finished. I was wondering if anyone can suggest one method over the other.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 169 Times on 153 Posts


I prefer simple syrup, 2 parts sugar, 1 part water and citric acid...recipes/instructions all over the web. But be sure you have stabilized with k-meta and sorbate or the wine referments (unless yeast are dead due to alcohol toxicity or pasteurization). Glycerin imparts some sweetness but nothing like a sugar, it is more of a body builder. Wine conditioner:do not waste your money, you still add k-meta and sorbate when you use it (even though you think it has all of that taken care of...only your wine conditioner is stabilized), but some people like the simplicity of it.
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,613
Liked 157 Times on 141 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
I prefer simple syrup, 2 parts sugar, 1 part water and citric acid...recipes/instructions all over the web. But be sure you have stabilized with k-meta and sorbate or the wine referments (unless yeast are dead due to alcohol toxicity or pasteurization). Glycerin imparts some sweetness but nothing like a sugar, it is more of a body builder. Wine conditioner:do not waste your money, you still add k-meta and sorbate when you use it (even though you think it has all of that taken care of...only your wine conditioner is stabilized), but some people like the simplicity of it.
+1
This how I would do it too. Add the citric acid to taste. It adds 'zing', but too much is not good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
kevinstan
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I have acid blend which I think has citric acid in it, but I don't have just citric acid. I am guessing I shouldn't use acid blend with the simple syrup ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
I have acid blend which I think has citric acid in it, but I don't have just citric acid. I am guessing I shouldn't use acid blend with the simple syrup ?
If the wine needs some tartness after you sweeten it, you could use acid blend. Muscadine is usually tart enough on its own, though.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
kevinstan
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Can I use the Ball brand citric acid that can be purchased at walmart or kroger ? Is this the same thing or should I purchase citric acid specific for brewing at my LHBS ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
Can I use the Ball brand citric acid that can be purchased at walmart or kroger ? Is this the same thing or should I purchase citric acid specific for brewing at my LHBS ?
It's all the same thing. You could even use a squeeze of lemon if you want, instead of the citric acid.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
mrbeachroach
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Tennessee
Posts: 107
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


I have made an amazing muscadine, and this is what I did in your senerio. Put all in a bottling bucket, and made a simple syrup with white sugar and spring water added to taste.

Came out perfect. I do heat the sugar water mix so that it mixes better. Also let IT cool slightly.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
mrbeachroach
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Tennessee
Posts: 107
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


I also pasteurized the muscadine. I was cautious , but it did not effect the taste, and no exploding bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 169 Times on 153 Posts


The addition of citric acid, along with holding at a certain temp, when making simple syrup prevents recrystalization of the sugar. Cream of tartar is also a substitute for citric acid. You can make a batch, stash in bottle, dose with k-meta and sorbate and keep on counter. Or in refrig if you do not add KMS&sorbate. Comes in handy when you are getting ready to backsweeten. Great way to make coffee syrups this way.
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Muscadine Wine - Please Help! kevinstan Winemaking Forum 17 11-22-2012 04:40 AM
muscadine wine outdoorsmadness Winemaking Forum 3 09-15-2011 01:57 PM
Muscadine Wine- How much does aging change wine? maddprofessor Winemaking Forum 11 11-26-2010 07:37 PM
muscadine wine Medicaldawg Winemaking Forum 3 09-20-2010 09:38 PM
Muscadine Wine Rhino Winemaking Forum 18 03-12-2009 02:44 AM


Forum Jump