Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA not an IPA
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Weezy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,706
Liked 303 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Default IPA not an IPA

Is it just me or has "IPA" simply come to mean a highly hopped version of any given beer style? I mean everywhere you turn you'll see a recipe that looks like a respectable Irish or porter etc. but it has a long hop schedule appended to it, so, Walla, "<traditional_style> IPA" is born. Or am I nuts (which is certainly possible)? Is this really just all that "IPA" really boils down to meaning (pun not intended)?

(We could talk about high gravity beers being "imperials" too)


Weezy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Key West, Florida
Posts: 5,711
Liked 620 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Is it just me or has "IPA" simply come to mean a highly hopped version of any given beer style? I mean everywhere you turn you'll see a recipe that looks like a respectable Irish or porter etc. but it has a long hop schedule appended to it, so, Walla, "<traditional_style> IPA" is born. Or am I nuts (which is certainly possible)? Is this really just all that "IPA" really boils down to meaning (pun not intended)?

(We could talk about high gravity beers being "imperials" too)
I think because of its recent rise in popularity people are trying to fuse it with other styles to do something "different". Im personally not a fan of the whole Black IPA thing. If I want an IPA then I'll drink one. If I want something dark and roasty then I'll grab a stout/porter/brown. Them together as a hybrid I can do without. But in all honesty Imperial Stouts have 50-90 IBU which is about the same IBU range for an IPA so the whole Black IPA thing has is basically a new name for a style that already exists. The only difference being instead of using a smaller amount of hops, mainly as bittering additions, they are using a lot more hops towards the end of the boil. Imperial is also another recent trend with everyone trying to brew everything as a big beer. It may be a fad but to try and describe a beer somewhat true to a style you have to include "Imperial" if its OG is higher than the guidelines for that style.


__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club
KeyWestBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 1,667
Liked 270 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Default

Hops taste good. They are like spicy food, once you get a taste for it, everything else taste bland.
jammin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
nicklepickles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing

I think because of its recent rise in popularity people are trying to fuse it with other styles to do something "different". Im personally not a fan of the whole Black IPA thing. If I want an IPA then I'll drink one. If I want something dark and roasty then I'll grab a stout/porter/brown. Them together as a hybrid I can do without. But in all honesty Imperial Stouts have 50-90 IBU which is about the same IBU range for an IPA so the whole Black IPA thing has is basically a new name for a style that already exists. The only difference being instead of using a smaller amount of hops, mainly as bittering additions, they are using a lot more hops towards the end of the boil. Imperial is also another recent trend with everyone trying to brew everything as a big beer. It may be a fad but to try and describe a beer somewhat true to a style you have to include "Imperial" if its OG is higher than the guidelines for that style.
Black ipas and imperial stouts are very different! Try firestones wookie jack next to north coasts old rasputin ris ( or any imperial stout for that matter) and you should notice a big difference (unless you cant smell things...)
nicklepickles is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
snowtires
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 505
Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts

Default

I havnt brewed too many beers yet but the cascadian dark ale i made was my favorite one. I love the combination of roasted dark malts and lots of late hop additions. I like the idea of combining different styles or like you said takibg existing beers and hopping them up, why the hell not? Stay thirsty!
__________________
Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(
snowtires is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: anchorage, ak
Posts: 544
Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy
Is it just me or has "IPA" simply come to mean a highly hopped version of any given beer style? I mean everywhere you turn you'll see a recipe that looks like a respectable Irish or porter etc. but it has a long hop schedule appended to it, so, Walla, "<traditional_style> IPA" is born. Or am I nuts (which is certainly possible)? Is this really just all that "IPA" really boils down to meaning (pun not intended)?

(We could talk about high gravity beers being "imperials" too)
You're not nuts.

A BLACK India PALE ale.

A RED PALE.

Etc.

Seems dumb. And contradictory.
mike_in_ak is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
snowtires
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 505
Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts

Default

Thats why the name cascadian dark ale is used. Black ipa makes no sence
__________________
Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(
snowtires is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Key West, Florida
Posts: 5,711
Liked 620 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
Black ipas and imperial stouts are very different! Try firestones wookie jack next to north coasts old rasputin ris ( or any imperial stout for that matter) and you should notice a big difference (unless you cant smell things...)
I know they are very different. But like I said the biggest difference is instead of getting most of the IBUs from bittering additions its achieved from using larger quantities later in the boil making the hop flavor/aroma more pronounced. Other than that the styles are pretty much the same. Black IPAs are basically just stout/porter grain bills with a IPAs hop schedule.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club
KeyWestBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,707
Liked 1153 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Default

I'll go you one better. One of the most popular beers in Canada is billed as an "India Pale Ale." It's called Alexander Keith's, and it was one of my favorite beers before I fell down the rabbit hole and discovered craft beers.

It's an AB-Inbev owned macrobeer that says "India Pale Ale" right on the label, but is not an IPA for at least 4 reasons.

1.) Its SRM is way too low, it's much closer to a blonde
2.) It's a lager, not an ale
3.) Its IBUs are far too low (17) to qualify as an IPA
4.) Its alcohol content is too low (4%) to qualify as an IPA

Yet if you go to a bar in Canada and ask if they have an India Pale Ale, they'll say, "Yup, we sure do, we have Keith's."
kombat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Key West, Florida
Posts: 5,711
Liked 620 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I'll go you one better. One of the most popular beers in Canada is billed as an "India Pale Ale." It's called Alexander Keith's, and it was one of my favorite beers before I fell down the rabbit hole and discovered craft beers.

It's an AB-Inbev owned macrobeer that says "India Pale Ale" right on the label, but is not an IPA for at least 4 reasons.

1.) Its SRM is way too low, it's much closer to a blonde
2.) It's a lager, not an ale
3.) Its IBUs are far too low (17) to qualify as an IPA
4.) Its alcohol content is too low (4%) to qualify as an IPA

Yet if you go to a bar in Canada and ask if they have an India Pale Ale, they'll say, "Yup, we sure do, we have Keith's."

That aint cool. Someone needs to do something to set them straight. Thats basically false advertisement.


__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club
KeyWestBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS