Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cracked open my first brew today!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
Danny013
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cracked open my first brew today!

...And it was great!

It's been in the bottle for 8 days or so, but I couldn't wait any longer! I threw one in the fridge this afternoon and tried it tonight!

I went with a Mild for the first one - I wanted something that would be fast to ferment and condition. I've never had a 'real' mild before so I didn't know what to expect, but I love English ales so I wasn't worried to much.

After the pour, there was very little head which dissolved almost instantly. Oh well. The color was a beautiful amber/red, very clear. I might have poured in a little yeast.

At first, it had a slight hint of a sourness just as it hit my mouth, not pronounced or unpleasant, but you could definitely detect it. The first 24 hours of fermentation were a little warm (~78F or so..), so I don't know if the sourness is related to that. After that, I could pick up no malt character or any hops, and the mouthfeel was very light, with a slightly 'watery' taste. The recipe had some black patent and chocolate malt, and the cocoa/roasted flavor were there and noticable. The grains could be tasted in the aftertaste, too.

Overall, it was not bad at all! Very refreshing, but I was hoping for a little more malt character with maybe a little bit of hops. I guess the low amounts of malt and extract lent itself to the 'watery' flavor and light mouthfeel, but I'm not sure. I don't know what the hint of sourness is from, either, but it's still good!

I'll let it age a little more, perhaps it's still a little green.

Anyway, enough rambling! Just felt like sharing! I'm very excited! I went out and started a hefeweizen (I'm sure you've all read about my fretting, lol)!

I'm addicted!

Danny

Oooh, pics!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 107 Posts

Very nice... I'll be bottling mine next week. I can't wait.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
g_rath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats! Isnt it a great feeling?
you will always remember your first time

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
JavaBeans
Recipes 

Everything you detected just says its green. If you can stand it, the best thing would be to wait 2 more weeks.

BTW, I do not have the diciplin to wait more then 2 weeks after kegging, but when it hits week 3 and week 4 in the keg its really great.
Secondary#1:
Secondary#2:
Secondary#3:
Conditioning:
On tap: Hoegarden Clone

Old 09-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Better if it is long term aged, like tomorow. Just kidding. I always have a test beer at around 8 days, but two weeks is when you can really tell what you have made. Congrats on your success!!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Sounds like a typical Mild (these are session ales) that needs some more time.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk