Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > better bottles

Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
iamperplexed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Better Bottle website recommends Seventh Generation 2x Free and Clear detergent.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4824 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 4046

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum View Post
I started with Better Bottles and have now moved to glass. I had two BBs develop hairline cracks in the bottom after only a few uses. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that caustic cleaning agents like PBW can do this if exposed for more than a few minutes. Careful what recommendations you take from this forum as I see someone above recommended an overnight PBW soak.
I don't think PBW is caustic. It's an oxidizer like Oxyclean.

I've never used PBW, but I have soaked my six betterbottles many, many times with oxyclean without any problem. Some of those bottles are 4 years old. I often let them sit for a week before I get around to hosing them out.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355Newell View Post
I use oxi clean. The cheap knock off from the dollar store. I just put a small scoop in the carboy, and fill it to the top with hot water and let it sit in the laundry tub overnight. It hasn't failed me yet. A good shaking the next day and usually good to go.
SAME here! 2 scoops per carboy and I soak for 48 hours in my guest bathtub...give it a good rinse and shake and it is sparkling clear...even the krausen rings come off the top! Why I didn't try oxiclean and their generic products before is beyond me...it makes carboys fun again!
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4824 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 4046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Why I didn't try oxiclean and their generic products before is beyond me...it makes carboys fun again!
Putting the BOY! back in carboy.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
iamperplexed
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post

I don't think PBW is caustic. It's an oxidizer like Oxyclean.

I've never used PBW, but I have soaked my six betterbottles many, many times with oxyclean without any problem. Some of those bottles are 4 years old. I often let them sit for a week before I get around to hosing them out.
I was hoping that was the case since I normally soak with oxyclean. The info on the bb website convinced me to try the Seventh Gen method. We use their products around the house when we can but they're sure proud of them and price accordingly. I just washed my first BB yesterday with the Free & Clear and it worked fine but it is a brand new bottle and only used for secondary to dry hop so there was no real funk. I'm sure I'll head right for the oxyclean the first time I need a good soak.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I found a video on youtube that was very helpful, and uses the same process mentioned above. 2-3 cups of warm water, a bit of PBW and a clean cotton or microfiber cloth. Spin and shake around. Takes all the gunk out in less than a minute. Give it a good rinse and let it dry until next time. With the soapy water acting as a lubricant I don't think there's any way that the cloth can scratch the plastic.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
I found a video on youtube that was very helpful, and uses the same process mentioned above. 2-3 cups of warm water, a bit of PBW and a clean cotton or microfiber cloth. Spin and shake around. Takes all the gunk out in less than a minute. Give it a good rinse and let it dry until next time. With the soapy water acting as a lubricant I don't think there's any way that the cloth can scratch the plastic.

Same - takes me about 5-10 minutes to clean a better bottle from start to finish. I'll never go back to glass.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNsqTBW55s

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum
I started with Better Bottles and have now moved to glass. I had two BBs develop hairline cracks in the bottom after only a few uses. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that caustic cleaning agents like PBW can do this if exposed for more than a few minutes. Careful what recommendations you take from this forum as I see someone above recommended an overnight PBW soak.
I heard the same and clean my bb with oxyclean but just put in about a gallon or a half of very hot water with about a tbsp of oxyclean. I then shake like mad upside down for a minute or so. Three rinses with hot water making it go down the sides usually removes everything with no need for a brush.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles, 4-Way IPA
Bottled:

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock

Same - takes me about 5-10 minutes to clean a better bottle from start to finish. I'll never go back to glass.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNsqTBW55s
Wow big duh on this one why did I not think to put a rag in there... No need to soak IMO at least I haven't had to yet but sometimes still have to get a brush in there, this looks like the way to go. Soaking uses up so much water, cleaner and time!
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles, 4-Way IPA
Bottled:

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

TIP: if you do a full Oxiclean soak, instead of just pouring out that 6 gallons of oxiclean...USE IT TO DO A LOAD OF LAUNDRY! I just pour it in my clothes washer, turn it on the hot wash cycle so my water is at least warm when mixed with the 6 gallons of oxiclean. Waste not!

Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale