Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Not enough time to finish

Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
lewisjharvey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Not enough time to finish

Hi all,

Now I know you're all thinking I should've planned this better and you are right but I am now in a slight panic.

The mash is in now and I have a commitment I have to attend stopping me from having enough time to sparge and then boil before I go.

What I want to ask is that if I sparge and the wort goes cool before returning later to boil, will this be hugely detrimental to the finished beer?

Thanks for your help.

Lewis

DonnieZ Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
brewvac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

To be honest, I don't really know how extending the time between mash out and boiling will effect the beer, but my guess is that you will be just fine as long as you keep the wort in a closed sanitized environment.

aogg Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
aogg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Wouldn't that be similar to LME, just with more water still in it. I can't imagine you would have to many problems doing that. Not much risk for infection either since you are still going to boil it. I guess if it was left for too long it could possibly start to ferment. How long do you plan on leaving it?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Lots of people "overnight mash" with success. Just don't let it go too long or it will sour and begin composting.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I thought so at first, but I don't think he's asking about overnight mash

this is probably way too late to be of any help, but if you want to take all your runnings and save the boil for later, that should be OK. as always, but especially in this case SANITATION is key. you're going to boil anyway, so again... you should be OK

I've left wort overnight and did the boil in the morning with the 2nd part of a parti-gyle, when it got too late after finishing up the big beer. haven't seen the results yet, the small beer has been in the bottle only a week. when I was bottling, there was nothing to indicate there was anything wrong with it

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Keep it covered and keep any raw grain--or anything that has contacted raw grain--far from the wort. Best would be to run it into an ale pail and seal it up with a lid.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
lewisjharvey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all. I left it in a sealed sanitised container for 4 hours and it seems fine. Just started the boil so fingers crossed. There was no sour off smell at all.

Better planning required next time!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
lewisjharvey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For others who want to know the result, the boil was fine and it has fermented well. The wort is fine if left sterile for a few hours after mashing.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisjharvey View Post
For others who want to know the result, the boil was fine and it has fermented well. The wort is fine if left sterile for a few hours after mashing.
glad to hear it

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds like you just made LME basically... could actually be a good idea if you were trying to make a bigger beer and wanted to save on overall brew time...

possibly.

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"