Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer tastes crap :(

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
cookmysock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My beer tastes crap :(

On my 30th grain batch and the latest really tastes like it has been strained through a rugby players sock who has had a bout of tinia.

Brew is -
3.2kg Munich 1
Hallaertau aroma added at 60mins, 15mins and 5mins over a 60 minute boil.
45 minute mash at 65 deg C
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
OG = 1052
FG = 1012
AA% = 77%
Volume = 14 litres

I don't think I have had a problem with sanitation or infection (I posted the fermentation mess a few weeks ago and the consensus was no infection)

Fermentation went off with a blast and even though the fermenter was about 60% full (loads of headroom) I still had an overflow from very active yeast. When I cleaned up the mess on the lid it was much like the ectoplasm in Ghostbusters (without the colour). Fermented at 24-26 deg C for 2 weeks. A further 2 weeks in the bottle (no secondary fermentation)

The aroma and taste is almost soapy like and a bit sour. It is almost undrinkable and I am very disappointed in the results.

What has gone wrong, or should I just leave this batch to bottle cure for a long time to see if it improves?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmysock
On my 30th grain batch and the latest really tastes like it has been strained through a rugby players sock who has had a bout of tinia.

Brew is -
3.2kg Munich 1
Hallaertau aroma added at 60mins, 15mins and 5mins over a 60 minute boil.
45 minute mash at 65 deg C
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
OG = 1052
FG = 1012
AA% = 77%
Volume = 14 litres

I don't think I have had a problem with sanitation or infection (I posted the fermentation mess a few weeks ago and the consensus was no infection)

Fermentation went off with a blast and even though the fermenter was about 60% full (loads of headroom) I still had an overflow from very active yeast. When I cleaned up the mess on the lid it was much like the ectoplasm in Ghostbusters (without the colour). Fermented at 24-26 deg C for 2 weeks. A further 2 weeks in the bottle (no secondary fermentation)

The aroma and taste is almost soapy like and a bit sour. It is almost undrinkable and I am very disappointed in the results.

What has gone wrong, or should I just leave this batch to bottle cure for a long time to see if it improves?
It will probably improve with time. How long did you leave it before tasting?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmysock View Post
strained through a rugby players sock who has had a bout of tinia
I can't help you with the problem but I love the reference. Disgusting, but so very illustrative.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
cookmysock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcPeach View Post
It will probably improve with time. How long did you leave it before tasting?
it been in the bottle about 3 weeks

Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
kfz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i dont know about this yeast strain but 26 degree seems very high for fermentation..

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfz View Post
i dont know about this yeast strain but 26 degree seems very high for fermentation..
1728's range is 13-24 C, so, yeah... 26 was probably too high

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Your description (Rugby players sock) sounds like you mean it has a sweaty, goat-like funkiness. It sounds to me like you got infected with Lactobacillus, which is very common and one of the main bugs we try so hard to get out. Interestingly it is the same bacteria that (along with a few others), on our bodies produces body odor. Of course it also produces sourdough bread, yogurt and many other fermented foods. It produces lactic acid giving your beer a twang and the nose could be described just as you do. It is also a major part of the flavor of Berliner Weiss.

I am very familiar with the aroma and flavor because I intentionally infect many of my beers looking for a bit of that (when it balances well with the style). I've never experienced the soapiness you described in an intentionally infected beer, but I have noticed it in wort where I grew lactobacillus in it to flavor a larger beer.

One way this could have happened, even if you are careful of sanitation is if raw grain is allowed to come into contact with your unfermented wort. Raw grain is covered with lacto. If you touched raw grain before touching something that went into the wort, that would do it too.

The only thing that makes me wonder if there might be another cause is your fermentation temperature, since lactobacillus prefer a temperature much higher (80's to 90's Fahrenheit). But if you had some point where your wort stood at room temperature or higher for an extended period of time, lacto could have grown in it.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
shine
Recipes 

Location: Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia (A reason to homebrew in itself)
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was XXXX Gold present during any of the brewing process (I mean did it exist in your house at all... I mean I've heard of XXXX contamination from a neighbor's house but it was an extreme case)?

I'm thinking some age might help you out. Why the short batch? 26 C does seem a bit high but I can't imagine the yeast producing such an off flavor from a higher temp. That being said, I've never used Scottish Ale yeast before. If I'm reading you right, you are at 7.7% ABV (seems high for your OG/FG) so you could easily kick the can along for a few months (sad days for the thirsty mob) and some low lagering temps might do you good too.

You mashed at 65C for 45 mins. Did you sparge? If so, what was your strike water temp? Your yield doesn't seem to indicate that you over sparged and your mash temp wouldn't have caused tannin yuck-poo and your blow out doesn't seem infectious... The only thing I can think is age...
Up Next::

Sesh - Session Pale Ale (Est: 4.0%) - "Summer is Coming!"

Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 871 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 203

copied - Cluckk - One way this could have happened, even if you are careful of sanitation is if raw grain is allowed to come into contact with your unfermented wort. Raw grain is covered with lacto. If you touched raw grain before touching something that went into the wort, that would do it too.

Did you crush your grains in the same buuilding that your wort was brewed in? If that happened perhaps the dust from the grains carried an infection. Grain dust is persistent, constantly reintroduced into the air with any disturbance.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
thood6
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

26 C or 78 F is way too high for most yeast. I'm hoping that was your fermenting temp and not your ambient temp. It could have been much higher if the latter was the case.

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1