Auto Siphon on Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholschris

Reaction score
Is it alright to let the tip of the auto siphon rest on the trub? Of course I would have the siphon saver tip on the end. If it's not the best idea, is there a good way to suspend it other than holding it?

Thanks much!

Someone here taught me a trick a few weeks ago that works pretty nice. A couple days before you rack, prop one edge of the secondary or fermenter up on a piece of wood so that it leans to one side. All the trub rolls down to that side. Then when you're ready to rack it, just set the secondary down flat and let the auto siphon rest on the bottom of the secondary on the clean side away from all the trub.

and if you're just racking from primary to secondary, yeah its fine, that's the reason for the tip, to keep it off the bulk of sediment.

its also the reason many aim for 5.5 gallon batches..so they can lose .5 gallons during racking and really avoid pulling any sediment up.

Yeah, it's fine. I usually hold it up a little, just so that it doesn't sink too far into the trub, but I really don't worry about it. The little bit that makes it around and through the racking cane cap isn't going to make any difference. In the secondary, you should have so little trub, you can set it down, also.

TL

Back