Re-use oak spiral from cabernet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinbrew

Reaction score
My first search leads me to little oak flavor left, but they smell fantastic! Just like the wine. Has anyone tried reusing these in a stout or other beer? I make more beer than wine and would like to see if reusing this would be worth it.

reinbrew said:
My first search leads me to little oak flavor left, but they smell fantastic! Just like the wine. Has anyone tried reusing these in a stout or other beer? I make more beer than wine and would like to see if reusing this would be worth it.

Unless you want wine in your beer, I would not reuse it.

I'd definitely reuse it. Think about the flavor impact it will have (subtle oak and wine) then design your recipe accordingly to play well with those flavors.

Yes it is a go I did a merlo with a toasted oak (I baked it oven at 275 for 4 hrs to sterilize) then when merlo was finished my boss wanted it for a beer project.

Absolutely not, do not reuse! Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly for you...in my Flanders Red ;)

Back