Element Length Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theknub

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking for a little input. My HLT is going to be my old 7.5 gallon SS. I haven't started my build (yet) but decided to check on the measurements of pot vs element. My pot has a diameter of 12". I know this may limit the element I use. Looking at Amazon, many of the descriptions for various elements are just a copy and past job from another product. I was looking for some input on a usable, max wattage element for this size pot. Since it is my HLT, ULWD isn't as big of a concern...

Any thoughts?

Maybe a no duh but go to Lowes or Home Depot or the hardware store with a tape measure and buy your element there.

a ULWD probably won't fit, but one of the higher watt densities shouldn't be an issue.

Since it's a HLT and higher watt densities are ok, redm18 has the right idea, hit up a hardware store and pick what you need. the higher watt densities are cheap compared to shipping cost, and you can be sure it will fit.

Also, if it's close, you can (carefully) bend them once they're in the pot. removal becomes a pain, but it's another option

Ok that quote didn't work very well...sorry.

How do you carefully bend them, looking for pointers on this. Also any specific types that don't bend?

with your hands. basically you want to make sure you don't kink it, so make large gentler bends and stop if it starts to kink. If it does, don't use it.

They'll all bend, that's how their manufactured (at least one bend at the end where it turns back to the fitting) but without a die/mandrel, you'll have to be a bit more careful, much like bending any tubing.

thanks guys, being the hlt not concerned now and that was the general plan. just wasn't sure if there were any other recommendations out there.

For those interested, I ended up with the Camco 2922 (off the shelf at HD). 4500 watts and ulwd. From base of screw in to tip of element was 10.5."

Hop(e) this can help someone out there.

Back