I have a one gallon batch of some ruby red grapefruit I'm going to bottle this weekend. Straight up rocket fuel at this point. It has fermented very dry and needs to be degassed like crazy. It seemed to be almost carbed when i racked it over and stabilized it last weekend. Heres my recipe...I cant remember where i copied it from.
GRAPEFRUIT WINE (Dry) (1)
6 large grapefruit
2 lbs granulated sugar (4 cups)
water to 1 gal
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast starter
Sauterne yeast ( I used EC1118)
Scrub grapefruit clean. Peel one grapefruit thinly, making sure no white pith adheres to peel. Put peel in primary with half the sugar, the crushed Campden tablet, juice from all six grapefruit, yeast nutrient, and enough water to bring up to one gallon, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary with clean cloth.
After 12 hours, add pectic enzyme.
After additional 12 hours, add yeast.
After two days of vigorous fermentation, add remaining sugar, stir well, and allow additional two days vigorous fermentation in primary. Discard peel, transfer to secondary and fit airlock.
Rack every 30 days, topping up each time. After fifth racking, bottle and set aside at least 6 months. [Adapted from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North American]
I'm going to back-sweeten with some concentrate...it needs it badly. Also a quick side note on this...when i added the second batch of sugar per the recipe the fermentation got so crazy i had a volcano of juice go all over the table! It was really pretty cool looking during fermentation as you could watch a swirling vortex of action going on in the container.
Not very tasty at this point...I will add notes as time goes by.