Another Temp Control Option? $29CDN - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Another Temp Control Option? $29CDN
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
shep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another Temp Control Option? $29CDN

Hey all... I was searching for a temp controller by reading these forums, then I started searching for a Canadian dealer vs. ordering online and shipping across border (which I would if needed). I found this one that seems perfect. Can I get some opinions from the more experienced here?

http://www.thermomart.com/beer-makin...-keg-dispenser

cheers... shep

<update> If you go back a level on this, there are quite a lot of options that this company has for the same purpose... perhaps there is a good one here that will help any builders here? http://www.thermomart.com/beer-makin...-kit-equipment

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 35

This for controlling heat/chill in a fermentation chamber I assume?
The first link looks like the one. They work great.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: The Bollocks ESB
Keg #3 Lawnmower APA
Fermenter: Empty
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The one you linked to isn't dual-stage. In other words, it needs to be manually switched from heat to cool. If you're OK with that, it looks fine.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
tbel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
The one you linked to isn't dual-stage. In other words, it needs to be manually switched from heat to cool. If you're OK with that, it looks fine.
I thought the same thing but didn't really look to close. If that's the case you can get one of these on eBay for $11-$12 with free shipping. I ordered one the other day.
That site is a good source for replacement thermistors though.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 403

something else to be aware of is that this unit is limited to 7 Amps (according to the manual) or 10 Amps (according to the webpage, @ 120VAC). be sure you don't load it with more than its max rating. for example, you couldn't use this in a eRIMS/eHERMS systems since heating elements require a minimum of 15 Amps as far as i've seen.

Drinking: Ardennes BDSA, apricot golden sour
Fermenting: Mandarina IPA, Citra DIPA, 3724 saison.
Carbing: 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2
Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries, local sour cherry kriek #2, 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
shep
Recipes 

Thanks for thoughts on this. I was looking at these because as luck would have it, they are 5 minutes from my work and I could pick it up. I wanted to use one for my keezer project. I have a 5cuft one similar to the Holiday model that gets talked about around here.

Any reason why one of these wouldn't work for the keezer application? Or am I better off spending the 60$ and getting a Ranco or something else like that...

Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Any reason why one of these wouldn't work for the keezer application? Or am I better off spending the 60$ and getting a Ranco or something else like that...
other than the load issue (7 amps), i don't see why not. just make sure your keezer doesn't need more than 7 amps - possibly 10, might be worth confirming with the vendor/producer - and it should work fine.

Drinking: Ardennes BDSA, apricot golden sour
Fermenting: Mandarina IPA, Citra DIPA, 3724 saison.
Carbing: 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2
Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries, local sour cherry kriek #2, 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...