Fast Sour Question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Fast Sour Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
BertusBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Roselle, IL
Posts: 161
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



What is the fastest sour beer you can make without sour mashing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
dcHokie
 
dcHokie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Posts: 1,591
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts


Does it have to be good?

Just kidding. Plenty of folks here have done respectable sour beers using fresh Jolly Pumpkin dregs in a 4-5 month time frame.
__________________
so many sour things

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Why the aversion to the sour mash? You can make a very good sour mash Berliner Weisse in 1-3 weeks depending on if you keg or bottle.

Elsewise, I'd have to say WLP645, which may or may not be pure Brett C, can make a tart to sour beer in under 2 months including time in the bottle.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


I personally think that something like this shouldn't be rushed along. But that's just me. I brewed my first sour last year and know where you're coming from but just think you should brew them, forget about them and let them do their thing for a year or so. I'm going to brew one every six months so I can have a pipeline going but the hardest thing for me was just starting it and knowing it wouldn't be ready for a really long time.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful.
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
BertusBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Roselle, IL
Posts: 161
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I am not opposed to sour mashing. I plan to do more sour mashing as it gets warmer outside, and I have a sour with wlp665 that has been aging for 5 months. I just love sour beers and was hoping that I could brew something to hold me over until my other one is ready.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
ocluke
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Orange County, CA
Posts: 360
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Elsewise, I'd have to say WLP645, which may or may not be pure Brett C, can make a tart to sour beer in under 2 months including time in the bottle.
I'm assuming you are adding some sort of lactic acid producing bacteria to your Brettanomyces claussenii? Brettanomyces works beautifully with sour beers, but it does not produce lactic acid and is often given credit for the work done by lactic acid producing bacteria Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. It can produce a small amount of acetic acid in an aerobic environment, but the majority acetic acid in a brewery typically comes from Acetobacter.
__________________
MetaBrewing.com - A blog documenting one homebrewer's experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
Continuously recirculating dry hops in the fermentor [video].

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
I'm assuming you are adding some sort of lactic acid producing bacteria to your Brettanomyces claussenii? Brettanomyces works beautifully with sour beers, but it does not produce lactic acid and is often given credit for the work done by lactic acid producing bacteria Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. It can produce a small amount of acetic acid in an aerobic environment, but the majority acetic acid in a brewery typically comes from Acetobacter.
Nothing but WLP645, hence the 'may or may not be pure brett C' comment. Chad Y plated it out a few years ago and found 2 lacto strain and pichia. I was emailing someone with lab access at taking a look at mine, but haven't gotten it sent out yet.

OP: If you want a quick tasty sour beer, try a sour mash Berliner. It's easy, cheap, and delicious.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
badlee
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 2,072
Liked 159 Times on 128 Posts


sour mashing makes your house smell sooooooo bad, you will be lucky if you ever see your lady again!
I am going to try a Berliner with about 10% acidulated malt and Brett B Trois to accentuate he sourness.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
ocluke
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Orange County, CA
Posts: 360
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Nothing but WLP645, hence the 'may or may not be pure brett C' comment. Chad Y plated it out a few years ago and found 2 lacto strain and pichia. I was emailing someone with lab access at taking a look at mine, but haven't gotten it sent out yet.

OP: If you want a quick tasty sour beer, try a sour mash Berliner. It's easy, cheap, and delicious.
I have a 100% fermented WLP645 going right now, so it will be interesting to see how it develops over time.
__________________
MetaBrewing.com - A blog documenting one homebrewer's experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
Continuously recirculating dry hops in the fermentor [video].

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke

I have a 100% fermented WLP645 going right now, so it will be interesting to see how it develops over time.
What's the hopping like? Not of the sour beers I made were low ibu - 1/2 oz of something in a tea ball in the wort until the boil started.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Fast is Fast? My DIY Immersion Chiller -2 parallel 20'x3/8" coils htc Chillers & Stir Plates 48 03-25-2014 03:52 PM
Fast sour brown ale rexbanner Lambic & Wild Brewing 10 05-01-2013 01:54 PM
fast fermentation question here... basilchef Fermentation & Yeast 5 05-12-2012 03:06 PM
Question about sour beer that shouldn't be sour Sreidy12 Fermentation & Yeast 11 10-05-2010 06:16 PM
Fast question for 1st brew day. Kikshaaz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-26-2009 06:17 PM


Forum Jump