"CODE BROWN" Brown saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WYeast 3711
Yeast Starter
Previous Brew
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
21 Litres
Original Gravity
Est: 1.059
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
29 IBU
Color
20L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
No
Tasting Notes
Pours a beautiful brown Colour with good off white head, that sticks around.
Considering this finished at 1.008 its soooo creamy, and has an almost vanillahint with the chocolate and carafa in the mix.

I took an existing saison bill and darkened it, very tasty, with age it'll be even better. as i've tasted it only after 2 weeks. the grist is as follows:

3kg Light LME
0.5kg Rye Malt
0.25kg Vienna
0.2kg Chocolate
0.2kg Cara-pils
50g Carafa Special II
0.5kg Wheat DME- Last 15 Mins of Boil

hops:
14g Nelson sauvin (11.1%) @ 60
10g Saaz (2.9%) @ 60
45g Saaz (2.9%) @ 10
45g Saaz (2.9%) @ 0

Dryhop: 14g Nelson Sauvin (11.1%)
3711 Yeast.

If I were to do this again, I would removed the Rye Malt and replace it with 0.2kg of Special B, to remove some of that booziness, and give it some sweeter dark flavour. I'd also move the 10g Saaz to Dryhop, and use the 10g Nelson Sauvin.

i hope you enjoy this recipe, I know I have and I'll be re-brewing as per my changes, later in the year for the NZ NHC2013.
Heres a picture....

photo (1).JPG

Looks pretty good. The name caught my eye, as an RN... I might have to try this, but I would have to change the name, or my work friends would never touch the stuff..:)

woknblues said:
Looks pretty good. The name caught my eye, as an RN... I might have to try this, but I would have to change the name, or my work friends would never touch the stuff..:)

Haha. I just couldn't resist with the name.
Hope you enjoy and feel free to post any feedback you have and any changes you made etc.

Crusader sent me a bottle to try :D
So here's my notes.
Colour is dark brown, can't see the light through it except for through the copper brown edges. The head is good sized off white which fell to a thin layer around the edge after a while.
Aroma has an earthy vanilla with some passionfruit gooseberry flavour mixed in, a very funky combo that I'm really digging!
Flavour is very interesting. it starts with vanilla and chocolate and its smooth, but some spiciness from the rye and soft bitterness comes through, theres a really slight sourness to it that's so slight it just adds some complexity but doesn't compete against the rest of it.
The finish is moderately long, starts with a hit of bitter chocolate but becomes sweeter after a few seconds. leaving a slightly tannic coating in the mouth but that doesn't compound after multiple drinks.

This is totally making me reconsider my apprehension to using liquid yeasts, I love the convenience of dry, but this is such an interesting beer.

20130327_184432.jpg

kiwirevo said:
Crusader sent me a bottle to try :D
So here's my notes.
Colour is dark brown, can't see the light through it except for through the copper brown edges. The head is good sized off white which fell to a thin layer around the edge after a while.
Aroma has an earthy vanilla with some passionfruit gooseberry flavour mixed in, a very funky combo that I'm really digging!
Flavour is very interesting. it starts with vanilla and chocolate and its smooth, but some spiciness from the rye and soft bitterness comes through, theres a really slight sourness to it that's so slight it just adds some complexity but doesn't compete against the rest of it.
The finish is moderately long, starts with a hit of bitter chocolate but becomes sweeter after a few seconds. leaving a slightly tannic coating in the mouth but that doesn't compound after multiple drinks.

This is totally making me reconsider my apprehension to using liquid yeasts, I love the convenience of dry, but this is such an interesting beer.

Wow! Top review! Thanks very much. I'm really enjoying this beer too. There are minor changes I'd make as I note a little bit of astringency in there but it doesn't take away from the beer at all.

That's all good mate, it's a very nice beer. I'm not sure I'd make any changes, I like the spiciness the rye gives it.

Ah hahaha....I'm also an RN. The name is what I think gives it some unorthodox, unusual attraction.

I'll have to try this out. I'm an RN and always thought about calling a beer Downtown Code Brown. I've got some 3711 in the fridge and was just thinking about doing a Simco/ Amarillo stout with 3711!!! We shall see, something like Allagash Black if anyone has had that it freaking rocks.

frod1963 said:
I'll have to try this out. I'm an RN and always thought about calling a beer Downtown Code Brown. I've got some 3711 in the fridge and was just thinking about doing a Simco/ Amarillo stout with 3711!!! We shall see, something like Allagash Black if anyone has had that it freaking rocks.

Belgian stout so to speak :).
Sounds tasty. Report back once it's done I'd be interested to hear the results

Yeah, Allagash Black blew my mind, you could serve it to a non Belgian fan and they would love it. Super smooth and on my to clone list.

A "code brown" stout or black beer? Now we are talking upper GIB!! NPO after midnight and an endoscopy tomorrow AM. Wait a minute, was he taking FeSO4?

Sorry, I can't help it.

Latest posts

Back