Brown ale brewing tonight - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brown ale brewing tonight

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Cainepolo12
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



I am currently brewing a brown ale using homemade crystal oat malt, sorghum, BRS, sorghum molasses, flaked oats. Hops are Fuggles and EKG. Can't wait to see how the oats behave. Might get a bit slippery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
cstarner
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Philly, PA
Posts: 62

How did you make the crystal oat malt? Is it actually malted or just toasted. I've been thinking of doing a mash with roasted oats and amylase enzyme at 145 F for 60-90 minutes and see if I get any conversion.
__________________
Primary: O'Shields Irish Stout
Secondary: None
On Tap: Sudoku Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Cainepolo12
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/0...technique.html

I followed this same process using certified GF oats I bought in bulk.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Cainepolo12
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Golden naked oats are also crystal malt, nut I was unable to find if they were gluten free anywhere.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
igliashon
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Oakland, CA
Posts: 936
Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarner View Post
How did you make the crystal oat malt? Is it actually malted or just toasted. I've been thinking of doing a mash with roasted oats and amylase enzyme at 145 F for 60-90 minutes and see if I get any conversion.
Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to mash oats with just amylase. You will waste your time and end up pouring the whole thing down the drain. Oats are extremely high in beta-glucans, and without beta-glucanase, they will turn your mash into a starchy milky soup that will not convert. If you want to mash something with amylase, rice or millet are your best bets. But I haven't found that approach to yield any better flavor than just using rice or sorghum extract. The best use of amylase that I have found is for after you steep your toasted grains in the wort, just to help clear up any starchy flavors from the steep.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
cstarner
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Philly, PA
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon

Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to mash oats with just amylase. You will waste your time and end up pouring the whole thing down the drain. Oats are extremely high in beta-glucans, and without beta-glucanase, they will turn your mash into a starchy milky soup that will not convert. If you want to mash something with amylase, rice or millet are your best bets. But I haven't found that approach to yield any better flavor than just using rice or sorghum extract. The best use of amylase that I have found is for after you steep your toasted grains in the wort, just to help clear up any starchy flavors from the steep.
What about mashing millet and oats with the amylase? Do you think there will be enough beta -glucanase in the millet to convert the oats?
__________________
Primary: O'Shields Irish Stout
Secondary: None
On Tap: Sudoku Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
igliashon
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Oakland, CA
Posts: 936
Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts


Is the millet malted? Because if it's not, there's no beta-glucanase present. If it is...well, it's worth an experiment!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
cstarner
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Philly, PA
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon
Is the millet malted? Because if it's not, there's no beta-glucanase present. If it is...well, it's worth an experiment!
No it's not. It's been awhile since I've done GF brews but I had a batch that I gelatinized quinoa, brought temps down, added millet and amylase, mashed, and got a few OG points. I also did the same thing with black rice and it seemed to work well. Both methods seemed to add a little body that is missing in GF beer.
__________________
Primary: O'Shields Irish Stout
Secondary: None
On Tap: Sudoku Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finished a Brown Ale tonight dmashl Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 0 01-04-2013 01:02 AM
Brown going in the pots tonight... lucasszy Extract Brewing 4 10-21-2009 05:34 AM
Brought my Brown Ale to my LHBS for a critiquing tonight beerbuddy General Beer Discussion 6 03-03-2008 05:40 PM
Anyone Brewing tonight? EdWort All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-21-2007 05:20 AM
Anyone brewing tonight? ayrton General Beer Discussion 32 01-21-2007 02:19 PM


Forum Jump