A short piece of vinyl hose spent 6 weeks in my beer -- now it's yellow and smells... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A short piece of vinyl hose spent 6 weeks in my beer -- now it's yellow and smells...
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Geordan
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

This is an odd one, but here we go:

About 6 weeks ago I brewed a Schwarzbier, and aerated it using my usual method: a 2" long chunk of 3/8" vinyl hose with a hole poked in it -- my ghetto venturi aerator.

Somewhere during the transfer, disaster struck, and the vinyl hose ended up in the carboy (and a gallon of schwarzbier ended up on the lawn) but I pulled together, finished 'er up and recovered. By the time I noticed the vinyl hose had disappeared into the carboy, I figured "how much harm could it do, anyways?" and wrote off any efforts to retrieve it as too damaging to the beer overall.

Tonight I finally racked it to secondary, and when I recovered the vinyl hose, it was still in one piece, but was discoloured a vibrant yellow, and smells strongly of urine (ammonia?) when you hold it to your nose. The beer itself doesn't seem off in any noticeable way.

So, folks, is this actually a concern, or was my original hypothesis ("Totally not worth worrying about") correct?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
eastoak
Recipes 

Jan 2011
oakland, california
Liked 158 Times on 148 Posts

who knows if the hose leached something into the beer but i eliminated all vinyl hoses from my brewhouse as soon as i learned about silicone hoses.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
TheZer
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Florida
Liked 32 Times on 10 Posts

Changing just one word in your subject line describes my stint in the Army perfectly.

Premnasbiaculeatus Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Jan 2012
washington, DC
Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

I'm not sure about the smell, but vinyl likes to turn yellow. Your beers probably ok, but you might want to discard that tube and make a new one for future use.