Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A short piece of vinyl hose spent 6 weeks in my beer -- now it's yellow and smells...

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default A short piece of vinyl hose spent 6 weeks in my beer -- now it's yellow and smells...

This is an odd one, but here we go:

About 6 weeks ago I brewed a Schwarzbier, and aerated it using my usual method: a 2" long chunk of 3/8" vinyl hose with a hole poked in it -- my ghetto venturi aerator.

Somewhere during the transfer, disaster struck, and the vinyl hose ended up in the carboy (and a gallon of schwarzbier ended up on the lawn) but I pulled together, finished 'er up and recovered. By the time I noticed the vinyl hose had disappeared into the carboy, I figured "how much harm could it do, anyways?" and wrote off any efforts to retrieve it as too damaging to the beer overall.

Tonight I finally racked it to secondary, and when I recovered the vinyl hose, it was still in one piece, but was discoloured a vibrant yellow, and smells strongly of urine (ammonia?) when you hold it to your nose. The beer itself doesn't seem off in any noticeable way.

So, folks, is this actually a concern, or was my original hypothesis ("Totally not worth worrying about") correct?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 86

who knows if the hose leached something into the beer but i eliminated all vinyl hoses from my brewhouse as soon as i learned about silicone hoses.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
TheZer
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Changing just one word in your subject line describes my stint in the Army perfectly.
Premnasbiaculeatus Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm not sure about the smell, but vinyl likes to turn yellow. Your beers probably ok, but you might want to discard that tube and make a new one for future use.