Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Running wire in conduit

Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
thargrav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
I am talking to a friend who is building almost the same setup. He is running the wire in conduit. The 6/3 with a ground wire. Is there a reason he couldn't put it in conduit? Would there be heat issues?
Run the correct size conduit for the wire size and heat is not an issue. Also, PVC conduit is easy to install - it's cut and glued together like PVC water pipe.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #12
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most local codes require the wire to be covered by two sheaths. When you have single wires, like THHN, the second sheath is the conduit itself. By using romex, the individual wires have insulation, then the entire bundle of wires have a layer of insulation, meeting that code, that's why you see them run without conduit in homes. You should be fine running just the romex, but to be positive, you'll have to check with your local electrical code.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Do not run sheathed cable in conduit. The heat build-up is too much. Besides, pulling THHN through conduit is insanely easier than trying to pull a sheathed bundle through. At any rate, OP, you are fine to use the sheathed 6/3 for your set up. If you can run it along the bottom of the joists, you are certainly fine to run it inbetween the joists. To be fair, it is not necessarily a code violation to run sheathed cable in conduit as long as you don't overfill, but I can't think of any good reason to do so when THHN is so much easier (unless you were running a very short distance like down a wall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Do not run sheathed cable in conduit. The heat build-up is too much. Besides, pulling THHN through conduit is insanely easier than trying to pull a sheathed bundle through. At any rate, OP, you are fine to use the sheathed 6/3 for your set up. If you can run it along the bottom of the joists, you are certainly fine to run it inbetween the joists. To be fair, it is not necessarily a code violation to run sheathed cable in conduit as long as you don't overfill, but I can't think of any good reason to do so when THHN is so much easier (unless you were running a very short distance like down a wall).
Thanks for the replies. So it would be alright to run the sheathed cable down the wall in conduit to the spa panel? I don't really think it is a big deal to put in a junction box in and run the THHN wires down through but if there isn't a problem with the sheathed cable running a short distance in conduit I would rather do that. It would only be 3-4 feet and I would use big conduit( I hate pulling wire through conduit when it is a tight fit).

Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can run the Romex in conduit down the wall to your spa panel. Electrical contractors do this routinely on new construction and on residential improvements.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
Thanks for the replies. So it would be alright to run the sheathed cable down the wall in conduit to the spa panel? I don't really think it is a big deal to put in a junction box in and run the THHN wires down through but if there isn't a problem with the sheathed cable running a short distance in conduit I would rather do that. It would only be 3-4 feet and I would use big conduit( I hate pulling wire through conduit when it is a tight fit).
Yeah, its ok to do it that way. Electrical contractors and inspectors dispute this all of the time, but the code doesn't directly prohibit it... But both groups pretty much agree that for 6 foot distances, it is fine. Use a connector or approved bushing where the wire enters the conduit to prevent abrasion/chaffing of the wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

An electrical inspector will almost certainly reject an exposed NM (Romex) cable run down a basement wall into a spa panel or junction box.

For just a short run in conduit down your wall you should be fine.

Most of the major NEC prohibitions against running NM cable in conduit involve installations in wet areas like underground and outdoors.

To a lessor degree, de-rating the service for long runs of cable in conduit (aforementioned heat issue).

Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

In my basement there are 2 romex wires coming down to receptacles for the laundry appliances. Not only are they not in conduit, they have been partially plastered into the wall, and painted over. The house inspector didn't notice. Must have been the paint job.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Ugh, my home has wire runs just like you describe (plastered & painted over) that make me toss and turn at night thinking about the ways they could cause calamity....

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #20
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Ugh, my home has wire runs just like you describe (plastered & painted over) that make me toss and turn at night thinking about the ways they could cause calamity....
That wiring will still be doing fine after we are all long gone.