Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Stout in primary for X weeks w/ no secondary, or other?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Veronis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Dry Stout in primary for X weeks w/ no secondary, or other?

I recently brewed my first beer, an Irish dry stout. I'm fermenting in a bucket and have a secondary (better bottle) available.

I've been reading the forums and seeing a few threads saying stout can be kept in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottled, skipping secondary. Is this because stout doesn't need clarification as much as other beers? Does it make a difference to skip secondary?

My OG was 1.047 (temp corrected from 1.046), initial fermentation on day 1 was about 76 degrees inside the bucket (Munton's 6g dry yeast rated for 59 to 77 degrees), then dropped to 72ish degrees 18 hours ish later.

I moved the bucket to the basement on day 2 when I finally decided that's where I would be keeping all my fermenters, and there it slowly dropped in temp over the course of a day or two and is now at around 64 degrees in the bucket, as of day 3. Basement temps are a steady 64-66.

36 hours in the SG was 1.029. I'm now on day 4.

Any advice for my upcoming processes/timings?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

To be of actually no help to you, do whatever you want. A lot of people now are doing no secondary--as you've been reading--so you'll probably get a lot of suggestions to that effect.

I started out brewing with standard 1 week primary plus 2 wks secondary. After about 4 I did no secondary for maybe a dozen beers. Then I did 2 wks primary plus a one week secondary for some reason (I felt like my no-secondary beers just weren't as clear, despite what many say, yet I was happy with the longer primary). Then I did a few fruit beers and dry-hopped beers and therefore went back to 1 wk primary and 2 wk secondary (even though secondary probably isn't even necessary for that).

Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

For the near future I'l do no secondary for Belgians, with a standard 1+2 for most other beers, especially those with hop, fruit, or in my current secondary, peanut butter additions.

My 2 dozen brews is hardly a perfect sample size, and the best way to compare techniques would be to do one recipe multiple ways, but the above is what works best in my limited-experience hands. I also now have a better setup, with a cooler basement, so I've actually noticed my beers are clearer than before and we'll see what the next few brews look like.