Blichman Burner scorched on first use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So i just put my beautiful new blichman floor burner and brewpot through its trials. It heated 6 gallons of water from 80F to boiling in about 35 minutes. I boiled 6 gallons for an hour and lost 2 gallons of liquid. This is incredible since my last pot with a much larger diameter only boiled off 1.8 gallons. I come to see that the actual blichman looks burned and scorched via the pictures below. Is this something that just happens? Did i not pay $150 for something to stay beautiful forever? Since i boiled off 2 gallons in a smaller diameter pot could i have just been blasting the heat way too high as well?

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

i have 3 of these burners on my top tier and none of them have those carbon stains on them. it looks like you had quite a fire going there, these burners don't need to be cranked to be effective. i can't even hear the burner when i'm boiling. don't put a wet kettle upside down on the burner to drip dry, it can cause rust spots to form on the burner.

watch the video Blichmann has on youtube about how to tune the burners. You want smallish tight blue tips, no orange wafty flames at all. The carbon will come off stainless with elbow grease if you're bothered by it, the actual cast-iron burner is going to look ugly eventually so just don't worry about it.

Just wait until you have a sticky high gravity boil-over before you start playing the sad trombone.

Back