Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I under oxygenate my wort?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
JLP
Interactive
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Did I under oxygenate my wort?

Did I under oxygenate my wort? I am always Mr. Over Prepared, as I buy two of everything that could potentially run out of or break when I do something. I bought a new O2 tank from Ace before I brewed a Java Stout yesterday just to be on the safe side. When I went to oxygenate the wort my existing tank only put out about 30 seconds of a medium amount of oxygen before it went caput. I put the new tank on, and it was completely dead! Not even a trickle of air! I am using a 6.5 gallon carboy, so in my tired state I just swirled it as much as possible. In highsite I should have just not pitched my yeast starter, but I was exhausted so I said screw it it willl be fine. I woke up to it bubbling away 10 hours later at a bubble about every 10 seconds into the blow off bucket. Should I just let it go, or get the tank replaced and oxygenate it again. I am used to a vigorous airation of 90 to 120 seconds. I had an OG of 1.056 and used a decanted 1200 ml Wyeast Thames Valley #1275 starter.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Many people never use bottled O2 and simply swirl their wort or use other physical methods. I did the "carboy dance" for years and recently switched to an aquarium pump and stone to use atmospheric air. Your beer should be fine. Watch it and see if the fermentation gets stuck or stops sooner than it should. Unless it does one of these, I would leave it be.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You are absolutely fine. The rule of thumb I have heard is 1ppm per degree Plato. That would be 14ppm. Shaking alone will get you about 8ppm. Maybe it would have done a little better with more oxygen, but I think getting it started was the better choice.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
JLP
Interactive

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks for the reassurance guys!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't even go that fancy- I use a sanitized wine degasser attached to my dewalt. Two minutes in a vicious whirlpool in the carboy and I know I have plenty of o2 in there.
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Yeah you should be fine.

Too bad about the empty tank. If you can, always open a new box and take a few you KNOW will have gas in them. I think there are d-bags out there who buy oxygen canisters, use them, then return them.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
I don't even go that fancy- I use a sanitized wine degasser attached to my dewalt. Two minutes in a vicious whirlpool in the carboy and I know I have plenty of o2 in there.
How many PPM is "plenty?"

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr

How many PPM is "plenty?"
Enough that I have 4+ " of foam at the top? The carboy rockers hope for an inch of foam to tell when they've properly rocked it. I can't tell for sure how many ppm, but my fermentation a never lag.

I'm also whirlpooling in my blichmann while chilling with the IC and filtering out hop and cold break in a strainer + paint strainer in my funnel to my carboy. The wort gets plenty of o2.
Secondary:

Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
Enough that I have 4+ " of foam at the top? The carboy rockers hope for an inch of foam to tell when they've properly rocked it. I can't tell for sure how many ppm, but my fermentation a never lag.

I'm also whirlpooling in my blichmann while chilling with the IC and filtering out hop and cold break in a strainer + paint strainer in my funnel to my carboy. The wort gets plenty of o2.
I'm sure you are doing the best you can and that you believe your wort is getting "plenty" of oxygen.

Point of View A: I do __________ and my beer turns out great! So this is evidence my brewing process is working. Besides, there is no "right" way, it all comes down to personal preference. My friends never complain about the free beer I give them.

Point of View B: What do professional breweries do? What do guys like Zainasheff and Strong suggest? What does fermentation science indicate is the best practise? I guess I should do that if I want my beer to be the best it can be.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr

I'm sure you are doing the best you can and that you believe your wort is getting "plenty" of oxygen.

Point of View A: I do __________ and my beer turns out great! So this is evidence my brewing process is working. Besides, there is no "right" way, it all comes down to personal preference. My friends never complain about the free beer I give them.

Point of View B: What do professional breweries do? What do guys like Zainasheff and Strong suggest? What does fermentation science indicate is the best practise? I guess I should do that if I want my beer to be the best it can be.
With aerating just plain ambient air you can get ~8ppm with a stirring device or just plain rocking. Professional breweries don't have the option of using a power drill. They *have* to oxygenate. They shoot for 8-10ppm.

We can hijack this guys thread all we want. The reality is his beer will be fine. An oxygen system works best, in the absence of said system, rocking or stirring will do just fine.

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index...-wort-aeration

Secondary: