Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lemon Blonde Recipe

Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is such a page on this very site: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart
Some of the descriptions are better than others. Browsing the MidwestSupplies.com and NorthernBrewer.com catalogs is also informative. Most of the malting companies have decent descriptions of their products.

If you don't have vodka, then I would just heat the zest with a little water to around 180 and let it steep for a few minutes. I don't drink vodka either; I just use it in my airlock.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Bozman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

So wow, i just did some calculations with the Summit hops in my hopping schedule. I had no idea that the Alpha Acid level on those hops was so crazy high. Based on my hopping schedule I would be looking at IBU's around 70. I was actually looking for something much milder like around 20's or low 30's. I'd have to run out and get more hops if I wanted a new bittering hop, but I will not be able to do so for a week and I wanted to get this started. Is there any way I can adjust my hopping schedule with what I have to bring it down or should I just scrap the Summit as bittering entirly.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Just use less. If it's your late addition, toss whatever you don't use in at flameout for zero IBU and some more aroma.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Bozman
Recipes 

So it would be feasable to use a quarter of an ounce of the summit at 60?

So a schedule of:

0.25 oz Summit @ 60
0.5 oz Summit @ 5
1.25 oz Summit @ flameout

Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Sure, whatever gives you the IBU's you need.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
bja
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts

If it were me, I'd use this grain bill for a pale ale or maybe an amber and buy new grains for your lemon blond. I'd use 2 row and 1/2-3/4 lb carapils, and that's it.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Bozman
Recipes 

Well I ended up brewing what I had. Fermentation is going strong and it smells really good, I just hope I'm not losing my aromatics though. It is defiantly a dirty blonde with the crystal 40.

I've seen several people saying to use the carapils for color and sweetness instead of any crystal, but according to the malts chart it only adds body and head retention and with an SRM of 2 I can't imagine the end product being anything but a pale ale, not blonde.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
bja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman View Post
I've seen several people saying to use the carapils for color and sweetness instead of any crystal, but according to the malts chart it only adds body and head retention and with an SRM of 2 I can't imagine the end product being anything but a pale ale, not blonde.
Carapils is a crystal malt, just very light, which is what you want in a blonde since a pale ale is normally darker.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Bozman
Recipes 

Sorry, had a typo, I meant, pale lager color not pale ale.

According to the chart I have blonde ale is at SRM 6. If you just use pale 2 row and carapils it will put you at a 2 or am I wrong in my thinking.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
bja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman View Post
Sorry, had a typo, I meant, pale lager color not pale ale.

According to the chart I have blonde ale is at SRM 6. If you just use pale 2 row and carapils it will put you at a 2 or am I wrong in my thinking.
I don't have a chart and don't use one. The reason i suggested not using your original grain bill is the caramel flavors from the C40 is going to take away from the lemon flavor you're trying to add.