Cigar City maduro oatmeal brown clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite8

Reaction score
I am Floridan and there is a brewery in tampa that makes awesome beer, but does not distribute to my area yet. So i am attempting to clone their delicious brown ale. It has been quite a while since I have had it. Any and all sugestions are welcome. Btw the info for Cigar city's maduro is 5.5% abv 25 ibu 1.057 og 24 srm

Grains:

maris otter- 8 lb srm:3
Bairds carastan- 1.75 lb srm: 40
Flaked oats (tosted)- 1 lb srm:1
Pale chocolate- 1 lb srm: 200

Hops
Cascade 60 min aprox 6%
Willamette 10 min aprox 5%

Yeast
S-04

This recipe just about matches their numbers. If anyone has had success with a maduro clone or has any in put let me know. i should be able to brew this in the next couple weeks, and i will update with any recipe changes or results.
:mug:

ohh little things i forgot to mention, mash temp 155, both hop additions are 1 oz, and this is a 5 gallon batch

*drool* I go to the tasting room quite often. Love CCB! Tampa Bay Brewing Co has an amazing barley wine, Moosekiller, and a hefe, Wild Warthog, that I would love to clone too.

Are you part of a club? I have been thinking about joining one lately. I am in Tampa.

Edit** Just realized you aren't from the area if you don't get it distributed. Don't mind me. Had a few drinks ;)

I will be watching to see how it turns out for ya. Sitting in Orlando airport right now searching clones after having the brown and jai alai. Awesome beers!! I didnt check there website but 24 srm seems dark, it wasnt much darker then a amber in the glass.

Any updates on how this turned out? I'm crafting a recipe right now based on some information I got from Wayne, the brewer at Cigar City. I'll post my attempt here once I get everything fleshed out, or I could start another thread...

Sorry for the delay, i went through a move and being busy in general so my brew was pushed back. I enjoy this beer it isnt exactly like maduro, but it gets what you want from an oatmeal brown. Silky, creamy, fuller texture with a smooth finish. mine did not ferment down as far as i had hopped, possible because of the large amount of caramel malt and oatmeal so increasing the base malt by a pound or so might get better result. I think this is a good jumping off point. I think i read somewhere that Cigar City likes using Special B malt, but not sure if any is in this particular beer.

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd add that I'm 99% sure CCB uses Thames Valley yeast for Maduro.

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the recipe. I think i'm gonna try this out. Any luck with adding a pound of the base malt?

Thanks again!

Have you thought about contacting the brewer and asking for tips? Wayne is a good guy and he might be willing to give some tips.

waynewambles@ yahoo.com

Wyeast London ESB ale 1968 at 66'F.

Thames valley attenuation = 72-76%
London ESB attenuation = 67-71%
S-04 attenuation = 75%

So should one use an extra pound of the base malt if using London ESB? I would think the original recipe w/London ESB would give a sweeter end result correct?

I was just down in FL visiting and tried the CCB Maduro Brown and it was delicious. Good luck with your clone.

Just brewed a 3 gallon version of this using the (calculated) additional pound of base malt and London ESB yeast. We'll see how she turns out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have not had an opportunity to try the brown, but I was at Tampa airport and tried CCB's Horchata Ale. Wow was all I could think. A very tasty, interesting beer. I have plans of one day attempting the Horchata.

Edit: can't spell.

24 hours after pitching the yeast.... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400541704.231065.jpg

Looks nice so far.

Still a new brewer, so excuse my ignorance....why is there so much head space in your fermenter?

I don't like blow off tubes. I do all of my 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carbon. I shoot for 3.25-3.5 gallons during fermentation so that I get ~3gallons kegged :)

Ok, the color on this is WAY off. Too light. Also, the taste is WAY off...too bitter. I mashed at 147'F by accident so that is most likely the culprit. Maybe I boofed the ingredients? Oh well, if at first you don't succeed..............I'll definitely try this one again.

I actually almost poured this one out soon after my last post but something in my head said let it sit. So I did. 1.5 months later and boom! It's strong as heck and has a nice alcoholic taste. Not cigar city maduro but pretty damn good. I previously stated that I may try to mash higher at next attempt, but mashing lower as I did gives you a nice strong kick! Me likes this one :)

I messaged them on Facebook and they were kind enough to send me a response.

Here it is:

63% Maris Otter - 2 row
13% Crystal 60L
3% Briess 6-row Chocolate
5.5% Brown Malt
7% Victory
8.5% Rolled Oats

They use Wyeast 1968 (London ESB - Fullers). They didn't send me the hops or hop schedule but one can assume its most likely noble hops. So, I am doing a 1 oz addition of East Kent Goldings at 60 and 1 0z of Fuggles at 10; that comes pretty close to the 25 IBUs they say it has. Cheers!

I'm late to the party, but have some questions based on what my beer tools software is telling me. But first, the recipe as I've scaled it for a 5.5 gallon batch at 70% mash efficiency.

8.32 lb Maris Otter
1.72 lb Caramel 60
0.40 lb Chocolate Malt
0.73 lb Brown Malt
0.92 lb Victory Malt
1.12 lb Flaked Oats
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes
0.66 oz Willamette @ 20 minutes

Mash 154
22.52 SRM
25 IBU
5.4% ABV

Here are some questions that concern me about the recipe as it was given to us. Primarily, London ESB yeast is a low attenuation yeast with an expected range of 67% to 71%. Converting the 14 plato to a specific gravity of 1.057/1.058, this yeast will get down to a terminal gravity of 1.017 if we get the top end range of attenuation.

Admittedly, I have not tasted the beer because they don't sell it in Louisiana, but the reviews lead me to believe that it starts sweet and finishes more dry. In order to get a dryer flavor wouldn't we need attenuation in the 76% range (1.014)?

I am Floridan and there is a brewery in tampa that makes awesome beer, but does not distribute to my area yet. So i am attempting to clone their delicious brown ale. It has been quite a while since I have had it. Any and all sugestions are welcome. Btw the info for Cigar city's maduro is 5.5% abv 25 ibu 1.057 og 24 srm

Grains:

maris otter- 8 lb srm:3

Bairds carastan- 1.75 lb srm: 40

Flaked oats (tosted)- 1 lb srm:1

Pale chocolate- 1 lb srm: 200

Hops

Cascade 60 min aprox 6%

Willamette 10 min aprox 5%

Yeast

S-04

This recipe just about matches their numbers. If anyone has had success with a maduro clone or has any in put let me know. i should be able to brew this in the next couple weeks, and i will update with any recipe changes or results.

:mug:

Where are you located? I didn't think it was distributed in my area either but I saw it at the craft bar in destin last week.

I'm late to the party, but have some questions based on what my beer tools software is telling me. But first, the recipe as I've scaled it for a 5.5 gallon batch at 70% mash efficiency.

8.32 lb Maris Otter
1.72 lb Caramel 60
0.40 lb Chocolate Malt
0.73 lb Brown Malt
0.92 lb Victory Malt
1.12 lb Flaked Oats
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes
0.66 oz Willamette @ 20 minutes

Mash 154
22.52 SRM
25 IBU
5.4% ABV

Here are some questions that concern me about the recipe as it was given to us. Primarily, London ESB yeast is a low attenuation yeast with an expected range of 67% to 71%. Converting the 14 plato to a specific gravity of 1.057/1.058, this yeast will get down to a terminal gravity of 1.017 if we get the top end range of attenuation.

Admittedly, I have not tasted the beer because they don't sell it in Louisiana, but the reviews lead me to believe that it starts sweet and finishes more dry. In order to get a dryer flavor wouldn't we need attenuation in the 76% range (1.014)?

Everything is relative. If the hops are balanced correctly, it will mask a lot of the sweetness from the lower attenuation. My beer finished around 1.020 and it isn't very sweet at all.

I've heard the brown malt can give the sensation of dryness

Brown malt is a relatively highly kilned specialty malt. It will usually impart a roasty full bodiedness but not dryness. Not as much as chocolate malt will. It also has a nice nutty character

My thing is that it was not an issue of perceived dryness as much as the London ESB yeast suggested by the Cigar City person (supposedly) just doesn't get enough attenuation to hit the ABV target given the stated starting gravity

I messaged them on Facebook and they were kind enough to send me a response.

Here it is:

63% Maris Otter - 2 row
13% Crystal 60L
3% Briess 6-row Chocolate
5.5% Brown Malt
7% Victory
8.5% Rolled Oats

They use Wyeast 1968 (London ESB - Fullers). They didn't send me the hops or hop schedule but one can assume its most likely noble hops. So, I am doing a 1 oz addition of East Kent Goldings at 60 and 1 0z of Fuggles at 10; that comes pretty close to the 25 IBUs they say it has. Cheers!

How about yours? How did it end up?

Bottled mine Sunday. Best smelling non hoppy beer I have made. Actually really excited about it. I'll report back in 2ish weeks

Back