Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Kolsch fermentation

Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Mgodzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kolsch fermentation

My Kolsch fermentation has me worried.

I freed up my carboy after bottling today, so I decided to secondary my Kolsch into it. I had been fermenting at 61 for 2 weeks and the air lock was super slow.

The gravity was at 1.020 and I thought that the WYeast 2565 yeast should do better than that by now. There was still a lot of foam in the primary. The beer was cloudier than any beer I have made. I know this style takes time to settle. When I saved the yeast, it foamed out of the mason jar as I opened to wash, it then foamed over the second smaller jar too.

Questions: Hey Kolsch guys, will the beer dry up to the expected gravity in the secondary or should I take additional steps such as warmer location or pitch new yeast ? Did the saved yeast foam up because it came to room temp or due to added oxygen or was it still too active to save?

Maybe I should have stirred the yeast to roust it in the primary instead of putting the beer into be secondary.

All advice is appreciated.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I would warm it up and see if you can get a few more points out of it. 1.020 is too high for that style.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2331 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Is the fermentation stuck at 1.020, or is it still going down? The Kolsch I just bottled used 2565, fermented the first week at 58, then up to 62 for the remainder of primary, so I don't know if temp is a factor, but warming it up might help. I'd give it another couple weeks and see if it goes further. But yeah, mine was REALLY powdery (I expected it), and after 3 or 4 weeks (I'd have to check my notes) when I racked it secondary for lagering, the krausen still hadn't entirely fallen (I'd reached FG by 2 weeks). I just racked out from under it.
Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy

Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69

Recipes 

A few questions: Recipe? Extract or all grain? How much yeast did you pitch?
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy

Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Was this an extract or AG recipe? I don't secondary and just leave it in primary around 38F for 4 weeks then fine it with Isinglass and keg....always comes out crystal clear. My notes show FG's of .010-.012

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
Mgodzilla
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Here is an update. It's a partial mash extract brew for those who asked.

Holly crap it's blowing out of the carboy and into the airlock today- not much room for foam in this 5 gal, but clearly it's restarted. New kreusen and the airlock is like week 1. Last night I swirled then warmed it from around 60 or 61 to up to about 62 or 63. I don't want to get too warm per JamilZ's BN podcast. I hope it should finish now closer to 1.014 or better.

Next time I will primary at least 3 weeks and do rousting and warming as it slows.

I plan on crashing and conditioning in 1- 2 weeks. I read that will clear the beer. Are most of you cold crashing then cold conditioning after the Kolsch finishes?

More updates to come.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Yeah....Kolsch yeast is pretty "dusty" so a long, cold conditioning time will definetly help. I usually go for 4 weeks.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69

Recipes 

I "lager" for 4 weeks at 45, and hit with gelatin a few days before the end.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Mgodzilla
Recipes 

Update

After a vigorous restart in the secondary for about 5 days at 63, things are slowing again. I am going to take it back to the basement for a week at 61 then test the gravity. I feel confident that its not stuck at 1.020 now.

After I'm sure it's done fermenting 100%, I will decide whether to cold condition in the beer fridge right in the carboy then bottle.... or bottle, carb, then cold condition in bottles.

Any conditioning advice Kolsch lovers?

English Pale Bitter2 - Wyeast 1469 - conditioning
Bottled but nearly gone - Heife Wl 300, Patersbier Wy Trappist, English pale Bitter1 Wy 1469