Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping in primary

Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
dierythmus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dry Hopping in primary

Hi All,

I brewed the North Brewerís Dead Ringer IPA extract kit yesterday and all went well. For the first time, I donít plan on transferring to a secondary, but rather dry hop in my primary. Do I need to adjust the timing? I planned on leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks. Then the kit instructions say to transfer and leave in the secondary for another two weeks. Does this mean I should leave it in the primary for a total of 4 weeks, or do I not need the additional 2 weeks if Iím not transferring? I plan on dry hopping ~10 days before kegging.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2966 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2090

Let it hit a stable FG,then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out. Then dry hop. You want most of the yeast settled out so the hop oils don't coat the yeast cells & go to the bottom as well.

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Doublebird
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree. Too early and you will not get the results you are looking for. I usually wait till the air lock slows down. If you cant check your gravity the bubbles on the air lock can give you a resonable time when to add.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2966 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2090

Or look at it & see if the krausen has fallen,& the beer appears to be clearing. Best yet,get a hydrometer. It's the only way to really know when fermentation is finished.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

I always dryhop for 5-7 days, right before packaging the beer. So I'd let it ferment, clear, and then a week before I want to bottle or keg, I add the dryhops to the fermenter.

It works great!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
jsguitar Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
krackin
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I shoot for a week dry hop to bottling with an expectation that life can stretch me out for a few days beyond that before bottling. I've gone 2 weeks with friends saying they like that better but I like my shorter planned range better. That is just beer drinking talk though, I've never had one dumped out or abandoned.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

If you're doing for example a month long primary, and you plan on dryhopping for a week, you add your hops at the end of week three, and bottle at the end of week four.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
michael_mus Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
dhathazy
Recipes 

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this, it caught my eye because I plan on doing this (dry hopping in the primary) for the first time also with the brew I did yesterday. Planning to dry hop after two weeks in the primary. My sample that I took yesterday already has a good deal of sediment - I added hops directly to boil, no hop bag or anything. So when I do dry hop, can I use a hop bag or something to contain the additional sediment? If I do use a bag should I adjust by using more hops? Thanks much for any suggestions.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
krackin
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A bag can make racking to your bottling bucket easier especially if using whole hops. Be sure to sanitize the hop bag first. I just use my normal hop schedule when doing this. If your primary is a carboy using a bag for whole hops gets a little involved with installation and removal but it isn't a real big deal. For removal I made a hook out of a piece of defluxed 1/8" welding rod.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
dhathazy
Recipes 

I use a bucket so removal won't be a problem. I have never sanitized hop bag before haha, so dumb question - assuming I use a star san solution or just boil in water, I guess it doesn't matter if the bag itself is still wet or should I let it dry first? Also do you need to force the bag under the beer or just toss it in and let it float? Thanks.