I'm brewing this right now - more updates to follow.
This is based on Jamil Zainascheff's Mild, with some inspiration from
Kona Brewing's Koko Brown. My wife, who is GF, tried sips of both of those,
and really liked both of them, and has been bugging me to make her some
"chocolate beer". I've made the Simple Simon Sorghum Ale with the Briessweet
syrup using the recipe from Briess, and I just bottled a Sorghum-Honey
Clementine Wit, both of which seem to be reasonable beers, but I wanted
to do something more hands-on, using real malted grains.
I purchased GF Millet Malt and Buckwheat Malt from the Colorado Malting
Company a few weeks ago, and I made my own crystal millet malt and
chocolate buckwheat malt. Additionally, I toasted some GF steel-cut oats
and some shredded sweetened coconut.
All-Grain BIAB. Shooting for about a 2-gallon batch, with OG of
1.030-1.040, depending on efficiency.
2.5 lb Millet Malt
.62 lb Crystal Millet Malt (approx 120L?)
.25 lb Chocolate Buckwheat Malt
.25 lb Toasted Steel-cut oats
.25 lb Oatmeal
.38oz US Goldings [email protected]
.2oz US Goldings [email protected]
3oz toasted coconut at flame-out.
1/4 whirlfloc tab for 5 minutes.
Yeast: Safale US05. I'd prefer US04, but I don't have any spare packets,
and I just pitched my saved yeast a few days ago.
I ran the grains through my food processor, since I wasn't sure how
my corona mill would handle them, and I didn't feel have time to clean out the
barley dust. I "conditioned" the millet malts first by spraying them with water
and mixing by hand, since I was concerned about the dust (and the husks
tend to fly everywhere, and stick to things with static cling). They
didn't get quite as fine as I'd like, but definitely got some crush to them.
Next time I'll probably mill them, though.
I attempted to dough-in with 5 quarts for an initial mash temp of around 122,
but overshot and ended up at 132. I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes,
during which time it dropped to 126. Then I scopped out 4 quarts of the
thickest part of the mash (using the rule of thumb of 1 quart per pound
of grain), and brought it to a boil and boiled for about 10-15 minutes.
I added back in the decoction and stirred it thoroughly to get the mash
back to around 154, but I had to give it some heat from my stove burner.
I put it in the oven to mash for 30 minutes, took it out, stirred it,
and put it back in for another 20 minutes.
Mash finished, before mash-out:
I then added my 180* mashout water and drained my bag, then dunk-sparged
in my brew kettle. The Preboil gravity was 6.5 brix, a little lower than
I was hoping - for comparison, when I brewed the original recipe, my
preboil gravity was 10 brix.
After half an hour of boiling, the gravity has risen to 7.8 brix.