2nd batch yeast questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my second batch, its a Fat Tire clone extract kit that uses a WhiteLabs California V Ale Yeast WLP051. Is there anything special I need to know about this particular yeast vs. dry? I've read lots of posts about starters and no starters, and Im just making sure I do the right thing the FIRST time!

Thanks, :mug:

Depends on your gravity level on whether you need a starter or not. Safe bet, is just to do a 1L starter a day ahead. If it's a low gravity beer you can just pitch it as is, but a starter is always a good idea. If it's a high gravity beer then do a 2L starter or a two step starter.

Yes. Do a starter. IIRC, a Fat Tire OG should be in the range of 1.055. That's definitely in the starter territory for anything larger than 2.5 gallons with a fresh liquid pack.

If you want to skip the starter, I'd recommend switching yeasts to (dry) Safale US-05 and re-hydrating just before pitching.

OK, heres a noob question; how do I make a 1L starter? My first batch I used Safeale 05 dry. I'm all for making it better, I just don't know anything about starters...

Thx, :mug:

OK, heres a noob question; how do I make a 1L starter? My first batch I used Safeale 05 dry. I'm all for making it better, I just don't know anything about starters...

Thx, :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Never tried California V. MrMalty says WLP051 is harvested from Anchor's Liberty Ale. Analogue is Wyeast WY1242.

Many clone recipes call for it. Others just call for a clean fermenting US ale yeast, most often Chico strain (WY1056, WL001, US-05).

I went with Belgian Abbey on mine, and I'm finding I'm not a huge fan of it.

Your call. If you find yourself in a pinch for time, the US-05 would be cheaper and wouldn't need a starter. You might need to pitch 2 packs depending on gravity and quantity, but they're less than $4 each.

Back