Cleaning bottles - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning bottles

Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
joydivision
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Rogers, Arkansas

If I've rinsed my bottles well can I just sanitize them before bottling my beer? Or should I wash w soap/ozyclean before sanitizing?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3673 Times on 3157 Posts

If they come out clean after a good rinse & have no specs of yeast,trub etc inside then yes. Put'em on the bottle tree to dry before boxing & storage.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Lucky7s

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Rome, GA
Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts

I rinse my bottles, but usually soak in OxyClen/TSP (HBT PBW alternative) overnight. I also was given 500 rinsed, but labeled, bottles from a friend who manages a Mellow Mushroom resturant locally. IThe OxyClean/TSP does a good job of cleaning and removing labels, although some are more stubborn than others. A quick brush, rinse and into the dishwasher makes the look new. I store in sealed boxes, sanitize and put on a drying rack when needed.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Aurora, CO
Liked 738 Times on 614 Posts

Steel wool gets labels off soaked bottles easily. If you rinse them 3-4 times right after use, I don't use Oxy, never had an infected bottle that way.

Why does Happy Hour limit happiness to 1/24 of the day?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
mdpickle
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

As far as cleaning beer bottles, I use a soak consisting of dish soap, vinegar, and baking soda. Soak them in warm water and the labels literally fall off in the soak.

This works awesome for beer bottles. Wine bottles on the other hand have been tricky. Ive tired a lot of different methods. Oxiclean took the labels off but left all of the resin so im kinds stuck there. I would like to develop something home made rather than go out and buy another product.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
GenIke

Recipes 

Jan 2013
The Shower, Wisconsin
Liked 156 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpickle View Post
As far as cleaning beer bottles, I use a soak consisting of dish soap, vinegar, and baking soda. Soak them in warm water and the labels literally fall off in the soak.

This works awesome for beer bottles. Wine bottles on the other hand have been tricky. Ive tired a lot of different methods. Oxiclean took the labels off but left all of the resin so im kinds stuck there. I would like to develop something home made rather than go out and buy another product.
An acid rinse will take care of the residue. Vinegar or star San will do the trick.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
DFW, Texas
Liked 152 Times on 106 Posts

I rinse my bottles well after emptying them and let them dry on a dishwasher rack I kept when I replaced ours. Prior to bottling day, I soak them in an OxyClean bath and rinse well. Then I use my Vinator with StarSan to sanitize prior filling and capping.

I may be over complicating the process and being too anal, it is a lot of work. But so far no problems as a result... I do really want to start kegging though because of the shear amount of time.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
mdpickle
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Ive tried the soak in vinegar/baking soda/dish soap. some of the cheaper wind labels came right off, but the glue residue still remains on some of the higher quality ones.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Hackwood
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts

Recently acquired 2+cases of bottles from a fellow employee. Found that 80% had some kind of mold growing in the leftovers. I simply rinsed them with super hot water and when it comes time to use them I'll check them for .... whatever and sanitize the crap out of them.

First rinsing showed no debris left in any of them. BOTTLE BRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter