Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Dedicated Sping Water Soda Water Machine Build

Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #31
sarink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

First pic - The original pigtail wire for connecting the tank to the motor (I'm not going to use this, see second pic)

Second pic - Rewired the carbonator tank float to a PC power cord so it is standalone and does not need to connect to the motor to get power (also, my ghetto soldering station :P)

Third pic - The T on the motor. Are you sure this needs to just remain open? It is on the inlet.. Although, how would I even get that off if I wanted? (didn't notice it until this pic - what's 250 PSI?!)

Fourth pic - What's inside that big (the smaller of the two big ones) brass nut on top of the carbonator motor (I was curious)

Fifth pic - Cleaning of the carbonator tank's float and all valves/fittings (also, it looks like I lied, there are screws on the bottom holding the the base on - it IS welded, but to a separate plate which this base is then screwed to)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130811_151626.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	141194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130811_151548.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	141195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130811_151217.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	141196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130811_151250.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	141197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130811_150918.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	141198  

Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarink View Post
Third pic - The T on the motor. Are you sure this needs to just remain open? It is on the inlet.. Although, how would I even get that off if I wanted? (didn't notice it until this pic - what's 250 PSI?!)
OK, I didn't realize you had a tee on the inlet side of the motor. You could use it instead of putting one onto the pressure tank if you wanted to. Then one hose off that tee to the pressure tank and other to the out side of the pressure pump. It doesn't matter which way you do it. I do not have a tee on the inlet side of the carb motor. Mine is at the pressure tank. In retrospect, it would have been less hose if I had done it the other way.

There needs to be a backflow preventer valve on the outlet side of your carb pump motor (the one with the small vinyl vent tube). I don't see yours. You have to have it. I took mine off thinking it wasn't needed. It is, my system wouldn't work without it.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...oducts_id=3099

Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Once again, I'm sure glad you are building your system and have been asking some questions that I didn't ask myself when I designed this in the first place.

The 250 psi label on your carbonator pump is the max relief pressure. Mine is labled with that too. However, the max pressure of the pump itself might be less. The pump on my carb motor is a Procon 141A100F11AA and the specs for it say it has a 200 psi relief valve and is 150 psi at 1/3 hp. Even the good braided beverage tubing has 200 psi rating at 70 degrees but only 100 psi at 100 degrees.
Since this is in my garage and I live in Texas, it gets warm in there in the summer. I think 150 psi will be over the limit of this hose in summer temperatures. I'm lucky my hose hasn't failed. Thanks to you, I've caught this.
I am thinking at this point I will change to a solid stainless tubing for the line from the carb pump to the carb tank.

I'm looking here to get an 8ft or so long piece of stainless tubing:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...d=20&top_cat=0
I've purchased from this company before.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
sarink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Haha, no problem. Thanks for posting your project! I searched endlessly for a way to carbonate on demand and it was driving me nuts before finding this.

How do you control the output/serving pressure, so that soda doesn't come flying out your tap like a fire hose? In my case I'm using a solenoid valve, so I need something further upstream from the valve.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #35
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
How do you control the output/serving pressure, so that soda doesn't come flying out your tap like a fire hose?
To my knowledge, you have to use a dispenser head especially designed for soda/seltzer like the one I have. That takes care of that issue.

Mine is the type where you pull it forward for a normal soda water and push it back for a jet stream for making an ice cream soda.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #36
sarink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm. What do you think about something like this? I can't find anything in 1/4" http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-DS05...rhf_se_p_dnr_1

Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #37
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Hmm. What do you think about something like this? I can't find anything in 1/4" http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-DS05...rhf_se_p_dnr_1
I really have no idea whether something like that would work or not. Seems like it would be trial-and-error and that could get expensive. And, what about a nozzle?? You still need that to be designed for the correct stream.
Why not just go with the soda dispenser that's designed to do all of this and be done with it? I'm not following your logic on why you would want to do anything else.
Why are you using a solenoid valve? What's wrong with just pulling the handle?

I think that a Soda Dispenser doesn't have a pressure reducer built into it. I would guess it's all in the valve and nozzle design.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Replacement Tubing

I did a lot of searching and found what looks like a really good beverage tubing rated for high pressure. The 3/8" tubing is rated at 300 psi. (This will be one heck of a lot easier to install than rigid stainless would be.)

Here's a link to the info on this tubing:
http://kuriyama.thomasnet.com/asset/...t--40710GK.pdf

I just ordered a 100 ft reel of it along with some 15.7 mm ear clamps from Apex Beverage.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #39
sarink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think i will order some of that tubing as well. Good find.

I also got the official shurflo nylon fittings for the pump. Well see if they crack after time too!

This is one piece of a larger project I am working on. In the end, everything is hooked up to an arduino and should be fully automated. I've already got a high pressure solenoid valve and the ability to control it via software. I've been doing some research, but haven't found anything conclusive that I'd be confident in yet unfortunately. .... I wonder how those new touch screen coke machines work?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I think i will order some of that tubing as well. Good find.
I also got the official shurflo nylon fittings for the pump. Well see if they crack after time too!
This is one piece of a larger project I am working on. In the end, everything is hooked up to an arduino and should be fully automated. I've already got a high pressure solenoid valve and the ability to control it via software. I've been doing some research, but haven't found anything conclusive that I'd be confident in yet unfortunately. .... I wonder how those new touch screen coke machines work?
I'm still not envisioning exactly how you are wanting your system to work, but have you looked into the Wunder-Bar gun setups? Could you adapt one of their guns to work with your software control?