Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB is killing me!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default BIAB is killing me!

Efficiency wise that is. I had a problem with too fine a grind and backed off a full turn on my mill and got 74% efficiency which was what I got before BIAB, so I tightened it uo a little over half a turn as I was using up 6#'s of Rye extract I had left over. I wanted a version of Rye Knot brown ale and with less than five pounds of grist I didn't think much about it. Mashed for an hour at 151F and added another gallon of water and raised the temp to 170F and drained the bag in another pot after a long stir. Went merrily on my way and added the extract and completed the brew. I go to check the OG and I see 1.076 where my target was 1.058! Really? I added as much water as I could and still had 1.074 when I pitched the S-05. I don't even know what kind of beer to call it? 8% alcohol in a brown ale........naw, I don't know what it is. I gotta get this fixed, I just never thought four+ pounds of grain could do this. Now I'll adjust grain bills and get low efficiency.....I see it coming.

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,