Yeast Smack Pack - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Smack Pack

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
penguin69
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 100
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



So I am trying to brew today. I took my Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey smack pack out if the fridge. Fridge was at 38 degrees. Smacked it at 6 am. It is now 10 am and no change in the package. Mfg date is 9 Jan 13. Should be good but do you think it might be bad?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
plumber_bob
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Lebanon Jct., KY
Posts: 559
Liked 106 Times on 82 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin69 View Post
So I am trying to brew today. I took my Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey smack pack out if the fridge. Fridge was at 38 degrees. Smacked it at 6 am. It is now 10 am and no change in the package. Mfg date is 9 Jan 13. Should be good but do you think it might be bad?
My understanding, and it worked well for me, is that you bring it to the proper temp before smacking it. And do it a day or two before pitching. That sucker should be swelled up to almost popping before you open and pitch.

pb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
penguin69
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 100
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I was trying to figure out if it needed to be at temp or not. Nothing on package to tell you that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Amherst, MA
Posts: 793
Liked 98 Times on 82 Posts


Pitch tomorrow.
__________________
Whether beer is made in waders or in a toilet tank, as long as it is fun and the brewer likes how it tastes, who cares how it is brewed?
- VladOfTrub

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Hoppydayz
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Elyria, Ohio
Posts: 33
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Before you pitch it, shake the hell out of it. After I pitched mine, I cut the pouch open and found a whole lot of yeast that didnt make into the fermentor. I didnt want to scrape it in there for fear of contamination.

Just my .02
__________________
In dog beers I've only had one

plumber_bob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
plumber_bob
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Lebanon Jct., KY
Posts: 559
Liked 106 Times on 82 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin69 View Post
I was trying to figure out if it needed to be at temp or not. Nothing on package to tell you that.
Well I learned from reading on this site that you gotta bring it up to around 65-70 degrees, then smack it. Then wait for up to 2 days, maybe 3 for it to inflate. Then it's ready to pitch. I always acclimate the yeast and the wort together before pitching.

pb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
plumber_bob
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Lebanon Jct., KY
Posts: 559
Liked 106 Times on 82 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppydayz View Post
Before you pitch it, shake the hell out of it. After I pitched mine, I cut the pouch open and found a whole lot of yeast that didnt make into the fermentor. I didnt want to scrape it in there for fear of contamination.

Just my .02
New note for my process!
Thanks.
pb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
penguin69
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 100
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I did shake it. So if I brew today and I put the wort in a closes fermenter overnight and then pitch tomorrow?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
biohaz7331
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 294
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


What I do is just pull it out of the fridge and smack it then shake the heck out of it. After an hour or two when it starts tons well a little I start to make my yeast starter and after I have the starter cooled to pitching temps I dump the pouch in and put in on my stir plate. I only have had the pouch 100% swelled a couple times and as long as you make a starter it doesn't have to be totally swollen.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
biohaz7331
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 294
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin69 View Post
I did shake it. So if I brew today and I put the wort in a closes fermenter overnight and then pitch tomorrow?
Most people don't recommend waiting to pitch the yeast for risk of infection and the like but if you were sanitary it should be no problem.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smack pack yeast brett1341 Fermentation & Yeast 3 11-01-2012 05:00 PM
Yeast smack pack TRIPLEMSU Fermentation & Yeast 7 01-29-2012 12:34 AM
Smack pack yeast beerisuber Fermentation & Yeast 6 03-28-2011 02:24 AM
Bad yeast smack pack? friday Recipes/Ingredients 4 05-30-2009 01:54 AM
smack pack yeast sublimebrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 06-23-2007 07:02 AM


Forum Jump