Where to get hop spider supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper77

Reaction score
Where did you guys get the supplies to build yours? I went to Home Depot and the only PVC reducers they had were the black sewer pipe ones and thy said the white ones aren't food safe and referred me to food services of America. I was just wondering if maybe you guys knew of some secret place that sells supplies. Home Depot didn't even have the long stainless bolts

I just used a standard schedule 40 PVC Reducer. 3" to 2" I think. For the arms, I just used standard plated threaded rod. It isn't getting put directly in the wort, so no real need for food grade. Been using mine for over a year and no rust or issues.

dryboroughbrewing said:
I used stainless bolts and a stainless insinkerator garbage disposal flange both from Home Depot

Thanks! Ill take another look tomorrow

Picked up the in sinkerater yesterday. Home Depot didn't have any stainless screws long enough so I drilled bigger holes an use some 1/2 inch copper I had lying around. I'm almost done mashing now for my amber.

image-4063502258.jpg

I got the Stainless Steel Bolts and nuts from Fastenal. The "Insinkerator: flange came from Lowes.

IMG_0578.jpg

I just used a standard schedule 40 PVC Reducer. 3" to 2" I think. For the arms, I just used standard plated threaded rod. It isn't getting put directly in the wort, so no real need for food grade. Been using mine for over a year and no rust or issues.

This ^^^^^ If I were going to worry about something, it would be the plastic paint strainer bag that is in the boiling wort for an hour.

I got all my supplies (same as described by autobaun) at my local Ace Hardware.

So I've used mine a few times now. I've noticed the stainless steel hose clamp holding the hop bag to the insinkerator is starting to rust. Well not rust so much but it's building up white stuff on it. Anybody else have this problem? I'm thinking of using stainless bolts to hold the bag on

Everything you see in this photo (well the actual spider that is) came from Home Depot on the same trip. Cost ~$35

8" Stainless eyelet bolts
Stainless sink flange
5-7" Stainless hose clamp
5 gal. paint strainer

DSC03299 (Small).JPG

DSC03300 (Small).JPG

Have you guys thought about a thick rubber band instead of that stainless hose clamp? Since there's not a lot of strain on it, I would think a rubber band would hold it fine. Thoughts? Is this a bad idea?

Have you guys thought about a thick rubber band instead of that stainless hose clamp? Since there's not a lot of strain on it, I would think a rubber band would hold it fine. Thoughts? Is this a bad idea?

The bag could fall in. I think a better second alternative is string.

I used the Dip tube from a keg and run it through the handles of my keggle, when I'm done I slide it out and it fits in the keggle. Sweet Cheap and Stainless Steel

Just spend the 2 bucks on the big hose clamp and never worry again. Buy once, cry once.

Latest posts

Back