Nutrition with the Honey addition? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Nutrition with the Honey addition?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Nohone
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 6

I fermented the wort for 3 days, then added raw honey in a pot with room temp water and stirred. I never heated the honey.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
jmureiko
 
jmureiko's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 19


I definitely agree with Nahone. Raw honey has tremendous health benefits, and my initial response would be that mead was, for centuries, considered a valuable health tonic. References made to by Greeks indicate a health interest as far back as 2000 years ago, and likely farther. I would also add that apart from the nutrients in the honey that yeast consume (pollen is an excellent source for yeast nutrient) the original properties of the honey should remain largely intact. If love to investigate it further myself since I keep bees.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Inner10
 
Inner10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmureiko View Post
I definitely agree with Nahone. Raw honey has tremendous health benefits, and my initial response would be that mead was, for centuries, considered a valuable health tonic. References made to by Greeks indicate a health interest as far back as 2000 years ago, and likely farther. I would also add that apart from the nutrients in the honey that yeast consume (pollen is an excellent source for yeast nutrient) the original properties of the honey should remain largely intact. If love to investigate it further myself since I keep bees.
It seems as though on the news every night one thing is the key to longevity and the other causes cancer...a week later it's the other way around.

Wine making is about converting healthy sugars into deadly poison...then drinking the poison.
__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
jmureiko
 
jmureiko's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10

It seems as though on the news every night one thing is the key to longevity and the other causes cancer...a week later it's the other way around.

Wine making is about converting healthy sugars into deadly poison...then drinking the poison.
Well, to be honest, I don't actually agree with that (with a friendly tone) :-). The research shows time and again that any form of alcohol consumed in moderation leads to be unmistakable health benefits. Check out this link for a mind-blowing wealth of evidence. http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Inner10
 
Inner10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmureiko View Post
Well, to be honest, I don't actually agree with that (with a friendly tone) :-). The research shows time and again that any form of alcohol consumed in moderation leads to be unmistakable health benefits. Check out this link for a mind-blowing wealth of evidence. http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html
I suddenly feel very healthy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
jmureiko
 
jmureiko's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10

I suddenly feel very healthy.
Touché! Lol!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
Nohone
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 6

So I am not a scientist, which means nothing really since we have internet, but I will throw that out there.

Cancer is largely misunderstood, and rightfully so my good friends, because it's a damn good money maker! All cancer is is basically cells replicating at such a violent rate it imbalances your body. our body kills cancer causing cells all the time. Thus, cancer as we know it is caused when your immune system fails to stop cancerous cells. Immune systems fail when you compromise healthy living.

This isn't new info, sadly, just largely withheld. Google searches will lead you to this information. Cancer and ill health is a multibillion dollar industry, imagine if people suddenly realize chemotherapy is nonsense and that pharmaceuticals were doing more harm than good.

So honey IS supposed to be one of those health foods that promote well being. I'd imagine using it in mead might be a very healthy tonic. Alcohol kills bacteria, guaranteed. So mixing honey in a medium alcoholic beverage might prove pretty good for you in moderation. This is theory crafting though. When in doubt, use your experience to guide your decision.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honey Porter - Honey Addition Options beerspitnight Recipes/Ingredients 10 09-18-2012 10:22 AM
Beersmith 2.0 honey addition Barnacle Brewing Software 0 06-17-2011 01:51 PM
Honey addition in secondary CreekBrewery Mead Forum 11 10-15-2009 02:54 AM
addition of honey to Brown Ale saludaranger Extract Brewing 11 06-30-2008 05:47 AM
Honey addition? rcdirtbuggy Recipes/Ingredients 6 05-07-2007 02:53 PM


Forum Jump