Nutrition with the Honey addition? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Nutrition with the Honey addition?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Nohone
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 6


Ahoy,

So I have just made an ale with 5lb of Orange blossom honey and it has been a little over 5 weeks of fermenting. I am drinking it as I type this, and I am very curious if there is actually any nutritional benefit to adding honey in beer during fermentation?

I am well aware that yeast consumes most of the honey sugars, but I don't know if the sugars have anything to do with the actual nutrients the honey contains.

I added the 5lb of raw honey into the carboy at the 3rd day of primary fermentation. Primary fermentation appeared to have lasted for a little over two weeks, judging by the high krausen and the bubbling.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Inner10
 
Inner10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts


Honey is notorious for low nutrients and show fermentation. Was it pasteurized honey?
__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
fatbloke
 
fatbloke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,698
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohone View Post
Ahoy,

So I have just made an ale with 5lb of Orange blossom honey and it has been a little over 5 weeks of fermenting. I am drinking it as I type this, and I am very curious if there is actually any nutritional benefit to adding honey in beer during fermentation?
Probably not, other than increasing the available fermentable sugars and possibly some honey flavour notes
Quote:
I am well aware that yeast consumes most of the honey sugars, but I don't know if the sugars have anything to do with the actual nutrients the honey contains.

I added the 5lb of raw honey into the carboy at the 3rd day of primary fermentation. Primary fermentation appeared to have lasted for a little over two weeks, judging by the high krausen and the bubbling.
As Inner10 points out, honey has low nutrients naturally. I'd have thought that the foaming would be connected with the extra "oomph" from the additional sugars in the honey combined with the proteins and other elements in the ale side of the recipe.

I understand that with beers, the amount of foaming is relative to the recipe and type of grains/malt used etc, it may have just been a moderate foaming type recipe and the honey just made it a bit worse.....
__________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Nohone
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 6

I think "nutrition" was the wrong term. I apologize for that. What I really mean are health benefits. Raw honey itself has tons of health benefits, i dont know why, but this is what I have researched. So will these health benefits cease to be in beer? Does the fermentation period diminish these health benefits? I was of the impression that braggot and mead would be healthier alcoholic beverages because of the honey. Assuming, of course, the honey is not heated at all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Inner10
 
Inner10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohone View Post
I think "nutrition" was the wrong term. I apologize for that. What I really mean are health benefits. Raw honey itself has tons of health benefits, i dont know why, but this is what I have researched. So will these health benefits cease to be in beer? Does the fermentation period diminish these health benefits? I was of the impression that braggot and mead would be healthier alcoholic beverages because of the honey. Assuming, of course, the honey is not heated at all.
Nohone, I don't speak for everyone but I know a lot about my profession, a little about wine making, and nothing about nutrition. When you drink as much as I do the health benefits are a wash.
__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

fatbloke Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Nohone
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 6

Thank you for sharing that.

But my question still stands . Does anyone actually know?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
mooney
 
mooney's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 83
Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts


Honey is sugar, sugar makes you fat can't see the health benefits in that

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
gayleygoo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Ireland
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


The only time I'd consider honey to be a "health" product is when I have a sore throat, and a spoonful is soothing to eat. Honey may also have some antibacterial properties and it can be used on a small cut if nothing else is available to clean it, though I'm not sure if it actually works. Eating a spoonful of local honey each day can help hayfever sufferers. Pasturised honey will probably have much less in the way of health benefits than unpasturised honey. As others have pointed out however, any healthy properties of honey in your beer are probably negated by the alcohol!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
FreeParty
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


In my opinion, the health benefits and vitamins in the honey remain while the fermentable sugars are converted into alcohol.

How did you add the honey into your primary? Did you heat it in water and pour it in? Did you have to stir it to mix?

I just made a recipe with honey that I added after flame out to the wort. In addition, I had to add grape concentrate on day three of fermentation, which I funneled in through a tube to the center of the wort, no mixing. I was wondering if that is a good technique or how your technique differs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Nohone
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 6

So some of you guys don't understand the difference between sugar and natural sugar from raw honey. That's unfortunate.

I recommend you google search health benefits of raw honey and enlighten yourselves. If you guys don't know the health benefits of honey I'd imagine you've probably never heard of raw honey and the differences between raw honey and.pasteurized honey, which is basically as useless as pasteurized milk as far as optimal nutrition goes.

Yes raw honey has a ton of health benefits. It was not coveted after for thousands of years just because it tastes delicious.

So am I to presume no one knows if added raw honey has any health benefit in the making of mead or braggot?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honey Porter - Honey Addition Options beerspitnight Recipes/Ingredients 10 09-18-2012 10:22 AM
Beersmith 2.0 honey addition Barnacle Brewing Software 0 06-17-2011 01:51 PM
Honey addition in secondary CreekBrewery Mead Forum 11 10-15-2009 02:54 AM
addition of honey to Brown Ale saludaranger Extract Brewing 11 06-30-2008 05:47 AM
Honey addition? rcdirtbuggy Recipes/Ingredients 6 05-07-2007 02:53 PM


Forum Jump