Big starter in fermentation bucket? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Big starter in fermentation bucket?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
tsname
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone made a starter in a fermentation bucket and just pitch their wort directly to it?

I'm planning on a doppelbock and I have a temp controlled fermentation chamber and rather than needing to buy a huge flask or doing multiple step starters, this may be an easy solution.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts

If you're doing a big starter, you don't want to pitch it into your beer. That could be a gallon or more of unhopped, oxidized beer going into your nice clean doppelbock. You really need to be able to decant off the spent wort.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
tsname
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
If you're doing a big starter, you don't want to pitch it into your beer. That could be a gallon or more of unhopped, oxidized beer going into your nice clean doppelbock. You really need to be able to decant off the spent wort.
Right, forgot to include the decanting part, aside from that, still a good idea?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
ilikeguns

Recipes 

Jan 2012
, NY
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

been mulling this myself.. i want to get a decent yeast harvest going and want to step it up to a 5 gallon carboy so I can have enough to do a few batches. I don't know if you want to do this w/o stepping up though because of the strain you would be putting on the yeast, but I'm a noob and would defer to those with more experience.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsname View Post
Right, forgot to include the decanting part, aside from that, still a good idea?
Just seems really really hard to decant off liquid from what is going to be a really thin, really wide, really loose yeast cake.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com