Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What next?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
TLProulx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Likes Given: 2

Default What next?

Hello,

somebody gave me enough honey (about 7kg) to make mead.

I already made prickly pear mead (good), ginger mead (best) and blueberry mead (still aging).

Since it's winter where I live, I don't have acces to fresh local fruit available. Berry and such are watery tasting californian hydroponic type (no offence but it in't as good as local fruit).

What next? Any suggestion?


TLProulx is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Bluespark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 417
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Citrus is in season, so maybe try a lemon, orange spice, or 'margarita' inspired?

I have two batches of JAOM, one blood orange melomel and a orange cinnamon. The orange cinnamon and JAOM are pretty good( need aging) the blood orange is too young to taste.

I also have a cherry chipotle ready to transfer today, it's made from frozen bing, tart and bing cherry juice and dried morellos. The smell is divine, but I won't know finished product for a while.

I also have a few that are in secondary made from whatever juice was on sale, and a raspberry melomel made from frozen raspberries I was given.


Bluespark is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
KeystoneHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 351
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

This may sound crazy, but follow me. Root Beer mead.

Some Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, and a touch of vanilla. If anything, do a small batch of it. It's freaking amazing!
__________________
Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.
KeystoneHomebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
TLProulx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneHomebrew View Post
This may sound crazy, but follow me. Root Beer mead.

Some Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, and a touch of vanilla. If anything, do a small batch of it. It's freaking amazing!
Good idea, thanks. I have some fresh vanilla bean (direct from French polynesia). Just need to find sassafras and sarsaparilla. Maybe a local spice store ...
Got any recipe?
TLProulx is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
TLProulx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespark View Post
Citrus is in season, so maybe try a lemon, orange spice, or 'margarita' inspired?

I have two batches of JAOM, one blood orange melomel and a orange cinnamon. The orange cinnamon and JAOM are pretty good( need aging) the blood orange is too young to taste.

I also have a cherry chipotle ready to transfer today, it's made from frozen bing, tart and bing cherry juice and dried morellos. The smell is divine, but I won't know finished product for a while.

I also have a few that are in secondary made from whatever juice was on sale, and a raspberry melomel made from frozen raspberries I was given.
I searched for JAOM variation and I'm thinking about making a Orange Vanilla Rooibos mead. Like I mentionned earlier, I have lots of fresh vanilla bean so I think I'll used them. I think the honey I have is clover or wild flower. The recipe I found calls for orange blossom honey.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10986

Mix that recipe with JAOM recipe ... just need to find the right proportion for rooibos, vanilla and orange.

I saw some Navel orange, caracara orange and blood orange at Costco ... I should be able to find Rooibos at my local tea store.
TLProulx is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Bluespark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 417
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default

I have a vanilla mead that is 18-20%, just a vanilla bean in some traditional mead made with clover honey. It's only 3 months old, but it is DELICIOUS already. I recommend trying just a traditional with added vanilla, if you have a bunch extra
Bluespark is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
TLProulx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespark View Post
I have a vanilla mead that is 18-20%, just a vanilla bean in some traditional mead made with clover honey. It's only 3 months old, but it is DELICIOUS already. I recommend trying just a traditional with added vanilla, if you have a bunch extra
Only 1x bean per 5gal?
TLProulx is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Bluespark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 417
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default

One bean in ONE GALLON. I really like vanilla. You could easily get away with just a few beans in 5 gallons.

I have plans for a coffee vanilla metheglin this spring, and a vanilla blackberry in late August.


Bluespark is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS