What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLProulx

Reaction score
Hello,

somebody gave me enough honey (about 7kg) to make mead.

I already made prickly pear mead (good), ginger mead (best) and blueberry mead (still aging).

Since it's winter where I live, I don't have acces to fresh local fruit available. Berry and such are watery tasting californian hydroponic type (no offence but it in't as good as local fruit).

What next? Any suggestion?

Citrus is in season, so maybe try a lemon, orange spice, or 'margarita' inspired?

I have two batches of JAOM, one blood orange melomel and a orange cinnamon. The orange cinnamon and JAOM are pretty good( need aging) the blood orange is too young to taste.

I also have a cherry chipotle ready to transfer today, it's made from frozen bing, tart and bing cherry juice and dried morellos. The smell is divine, but I won't know finished product for a while.

I also have a few that are in secondary made from whatever juice was on sale, and a raspberry melomel made from frozen raspberries I was given.

This may sound crazy, but follow me. Root Beer mead.

Some Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, and a touch of vanilla. If anything, do a small batch of it. It's freaking amazing!

This may sound crazy, but follow me. Root Beer mead.

Some Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, and a touch of vanilla. If anything, do a small batch of it. It's freaking amazing!

Good idea, thanks. I have some fresh vanilla bean (direct from French polynesia). Just need to find sassafras and sarsaparilla. Maybe a local spice store ...
Got any recipe?

Citrus is in season, so maybe try a lemon, orange spice, or 'margarita' inspired?

I have two batches of JAOM, one blood orange melomel and a orange cinnamon. The orange cinnamon and JAOM are pretty good( need aging) the blood orange is too young to taste.

I also have a cherry chipotle ready to transfer today, it's made from frozen bing, tart and bing cherry juice and dried morellos. The smell is divine, but I won't know finished product for a while.

I also have a few that are in secondary made from whatever juice was on sale, and a raspberry melomel made from frozen raspberries I was given.

I searched for JAOM variation and I'm thinking about making a Orange Vanilla Rooibos mead. Like I mentionned earlier, I have lots of fresh vanilla bean so I think I'll used them. I think the honey I have is clover or wild flower. The recipe I found calls for orange blossom honey.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10986

Mix that recipe with JAOM recipe ... just need to find the right proportion for rooibos, vanilla and orange.

I saw some Navel orange, caracara orange and blood orange at Costco ... I should be able to find Rooibos at my local tea store.

I have a vanilla mead that is 18-20%, just a vanilla bean in some traditional mead made with clover honey. It's only 3 months old, but it is DELICIOUS already. I recommend trying just a traditional with added vanilla, if you have a bunch extra

I have a vanilla mead that is 18-20%, just a vanilla bean in some traditional mead made with clover honey. It's only 3 months old, but it is DELICIOUS already. I recommend trying just a traditional with added vanilla, if you have a bunch extra

Only 1x bean per 5gal?

One bean in ONE GALLON. I really like vanilla. You could easily get away with just a few beans in 5 gallons.

I have plans for a coffee vanilla metheglin this spring, and a vanilla blackberry in late August.

Back