Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG) - Page 57 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #561
dave8274
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Posts: 227
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Brewed this a month ago with a friend. I bottled mine last week, he racked his to secondary. I saw his last night, and it is still very cloudy. Is that unusual after a month? Seems like most of the posts here say that at least the finished product is clear.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #562
bd2xu
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 943
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274
Brewed this a month ago with a friend. I bottled mine last week, he racked his to secondary. I saw his last night, and it is still very cloudy. Is that unusual after a month? Seems like most of the posts here say that at least the finished product is clear.
Can depend on a few things, all grain or extract? What yeast did you use? How long ago did he rack his?

Overall in my experience when I bottle, my beer is very clear after carbing and then 2-4 weeks in the fridge. There aren't any adjuncts in this that would normally make a beer cloudy so it should be pretty clear.
__________________
On Deck: ?
Primary:
Secondary: Cucumber Kolsch
On tap: Czech Pils, Munich Dunkel, Petite Saison D'Ete
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #563
dave8274
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Posts: 227
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
Can depend on a few things, all grain or extract? What yeast did you use? How long ago did he rack his?

Overall in my experience when I bottle, my beer is very clear after carbing and then 2-4 weeks in the fridge. There aren't any adjuncts in this that would normally make a beer cloudy so it should be pretty clear.
We did all grain, exactly as the recipe said with S-04. He racked his a week ago, after 3 weeks in primary, the same day I bottled mine. My bottles are also cloudy, but after a week in bottles that's to be expected.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #564
grathan
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Albany, NY
Posts: 2,250
Liked 146 Times on 115 Posts


Biab? calcium level? boil kettle ph? FG?, cooling method, sediment stirred up when racking. These are suspects for cloudy beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #565
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,402
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts


A lengthy chill will cure most chill haze issues.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #566
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
gwapogorilla's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
, Jackson County, Iowa
Posts: 534
Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts


BM, I brewed this bout 7 weeks ago, although I did change your recipe just bit as my mill efficiency is high and I wanted to try a different yeast.
Finally week 3 arrived after bottling...so carbing is complete. I drank of glass of this side by side with a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Man...it's close! The SA finished dry and crisp...it is a lager. Your recipe was just a bit sweeter(I mashed at 154*) while the hops are there then gone as quick as you notice them.
Excellent recipe BM....well done.

BierMuncher Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #567
bd2xu
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 943
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts


I brewed this on 9/23, checked it last night and it's already at 1.015 and looked like it was still active. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch with a 2 L starter and have kept it in the mid 60's for first 3 days then let rise up to 72. Tasted GREAT, very bready and malty just a good Oktoberfest should! I will take another reading on Friday or Saturday and keg it, and let it chill/carb until our Oktoberfest party on 10/25! Also bringing a keg of Kolsch and a keg of Dunkelwiezen. Here's the recipe I used:

Brewing Steps: OktoberFAST Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 09/23/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brutus 10 - 5 Gallon batch
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Mash Ingredients
4 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Aromatic Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess)
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [6.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
OG: 1.052


Was weird I bought 2 packs of Tettnang and one was 4.6% alpha and the other 6.1 so I adjusted.

Thanks for the great recipe!
__________________
On Deck: ?
Primary:
Secondary: Cucumber Kolsch
On tap: Czech Pils, Munich Dunkel, Petite Saison D'Ete
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #568
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
, Colorado
Posts: 1,144
Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I brewed this on 9/23, checked it last night and it's already at 1.015 and looked like it was still active. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch with a 2 L starter and have kept it in the mid 60's for first 3 days then let rise up to 72. Tasted GREAT, very bready and malty just a good Oktoberfest should! I will take another reading on Friday or Saturday and keg it, and let it chill/carb until our Oktoberfest party on 10/25! Also bringing a keg of Kolsch and a keg of Dunkelwiezen. Here's the recipe I used:

Brewing Steps: OktoberFAST Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 09/23/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brutus 10 - 5 Gallon batch
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Mash Ingredients
4 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Aromatic Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess)
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [6.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
OG: 1.052

Was weird I bought 2 packs of Tettnang and one was 4.6% alpha and the other 6.1 so I adjusted.

Thanks for the great recipe!
Creepy as I am also currently brewing this Octoberfest and have a Dunkelweizen and Kolsch just about ready to keg....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #569
bd2xu
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 943
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpants
Creepy as I am also currently brewing this Octoberfest and have a Dunkelweizen and Kolsch just about ready to keg....
Great minds think alike: light, medium and dark, all ales...

Creepy is your name, Butterpants... :-)
__________________
On Deck: ?
Primary:
Secondary: Cucumber Kolsch
On tap: Czech Pils, Munich Dunkel, Petite Saison D'Ete
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #570
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
, Colorado
Posts: 1,144
Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts


I used to poop my pants a lot

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oktoberfast recipe - critique please WI_Wino Extract Brewing 16 11-14-2013 03:44 AM
Ode to BierMuncher JonnyJumpUp Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 01-26-2012 12:44 AM
Biermuncher's OktoberFAST PM Craig311 Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-29-2010 09:32 PM
Thanks BierMuncher g_rath General Beer Discussion 3 05-26-2008 12:32 PM


Forum Jump