Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG) - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #31
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

Done and done. As soon as I can free up one more fermenter (or buy another), then I think it's time. I've got my Dusseldorf Alt in a starter right now. Guess I'll have to wedge that lil guy into the fridge for a couple days, then pull it out and step it up a little further.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #32
Festivus
Recipes 

Jun 2008

For the extract recipe posted earlier, what are thoughts on replacing either the amber LME or the pale LME with munich LME? I have some munich from AHS that lists it as 20% munich malt, 80% 2-row. Is this a possible substitution for one of these, or should I stick with the pale/amber? BeerSmith doesnt have munich extract as an ingredient (atleast that I can find) so it wouldnt put it in the recipe by itself on the conversion. Im hoping the munich LME will provide some more maltiness that the extract recipe is going to lose from missing out on the grains.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #33
karbinator
Recipes 

Jan 2008
East coast, Virginia

BM,

Did you mash for 60, or 90min?
The grain bill is in the Tun now, and
realized no time was mentioned other than
a 90 boil.

Thanks for the great recipe!!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #34
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska

I split the difference on mine, and mashed for 75". At long as your starches are converted (iodine test), it should be fine at either time interval.

I really hope they came out ok. I think they both stayed at about 79F for the first 24 hours of fermentation... ice bath only barely helped... A/C unit was pumping out as much as it could, but it was just too damn hot outside... :-/ I'm scared they're both gonna have fusels all over the place.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
Displaced MassHole

Recipes 

May 2008
San Diego
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

UPS guy showed up yesterday with all my grain for this one, cant wait for the Saturday brew. I plan on letting this one sit in primary for 3 weeks as per BM and then I'm gonna use the yeast cake for my 9-9-9 barley wine.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #36
Matt_D

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Cedarburg, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
BM,

Did you mash for 60, or 90min?
The grain bill is in the Tun now, and
realized no time was mentioned other than
a 90 boil.

Thanks for the great recipe!!
45 min mash

Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #37
Displaced MassHole

Recipes 

May 2008
San Diego

So I brewed this on Sat. first time brewing with out drinking!?!? Think I may just have to continue this process, I didnt mess anything up or forget any hop additions My question to those of you that have brewed this is how quick was your primary fermentation? Ive got it sitting in the fridge at 68F and primary was cruising up until this morning, the krausen appears to already have fallen and it looks like the yeast is settling out. Is this normal? I'm just gonna let it sit in there like that for atleast another two weeks, im just a little nervous that my FG might be a lil high.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #38
BrewDog760
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Carlsbad, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwood View Post
Shooting from the hip, step one should be cutting everything in half (please correct me if my head's up my a**).

For a 5 gal PM batch (full boil), I figure:

Steep:
1 lb. Aromatic/Honey Malt
1 lb. C20
0.5 lb. C40
0.5 lb. Cara-Pils/Dextrine Malt

Mash:
2 lbs. Munich (20 SRM)
2 lbs. Vienna (3.5 SRM)

Boil:
4 lbs. Light DME
1/2 Posted Hop Schedule

I was thinking of giving this a shot within the next few weeks, so please speak up if I'm off base here!

Cheers!

I'm not a super-experienced brewer but I ran this through the tastybrew.com calculator and it came out dead-on with the style. It looks good to me in fact, I think I'm going to do this instead of the arrogant bastard clone. It will be first true "seasonal" beer. I should be brewing again in the next few weeks and will post the results.

Cheers!
Coming Up: Rye Stout

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #39
Displaced MassHole

Recipes 

May 2008
San Diego

So I over shot my FG by .006 with a 5 day primary? Any tips on how to fix that......bring the gravity/maltiness back?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #40
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska

When you prime (for keg or for bottling, whichever) just boil a larger am't of water and add in 8oz of maltodextrine. Let cool as usual, rack into keg/bottling bucket, and proceed as usual.