beer in primary for 18 days, want to bottle, but still bubbling - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer in primary for 18 days, want to bottle, but still bubbling

Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Sirenus
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,

I'm on my third batch of beer, an English style bitter, which I planned to leave in my primary for two or three weeks and then bottle. However, I'm on day 18 in the primary and there are still a few small bubbles regularly coming out of the airlock. Is this normal? My last two beers, a stout and a porter, both stopped bubbling after 9 or 10 days.

Does anyone here have an idea of what might be going on? Do you think it would be ok to bottle this bitter this weekend? Do I need to wait until all the bubbling has completely stopped?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Jersey City, NJ
Liked 1568 Times on 1061 Posts

Only way to know for sure that it's ready is to take hydrometer readings. Take at least one (I usually just wait 3 weeks and take a reading to confirm it's at a reasonable/expected FG), but preferably take two a couple days apart. If the readings are the same, then it's done fermenting.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-4), Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Wild Cider ('14), Unseasonably Pale v2
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Lion Cut Kriek, Bochet Mead, Wild Cranberry Cider ('15), Dirty Dozen Mead, Farmhouse Cyser

Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3691 Times on 3171 Posts

At this point,it may just be off gassing dissolved co2. Take hydrometer readings 2 days apart to be sure it's done fermenting. If/when it's at FG,then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Cincyfan78
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Just remember that bubles really mean nothing. Take a gravity reading, and then go back 2 or 3 days later and take another gravity reading. If the readings are the same, then you are safe for bottling. If not, just wait. Bubles are just a sign that gasses are being put off, and nothing more. Gasses are always being put off, and sometimes we see them through the airlock, and sometimes we don't. There are a various many reasons why this occurs, but just know that this has nothing to do with if the beer has reached final gravity. The only way you know that is to take a reading.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Sirenus
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice!