Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starsan?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
kontrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Starsan?

After reading about almost everyone praise the godness of starsan I decided to give it a go instead of my k-sulfite (Which smell like s...).

Made my first dilution today.

5ml(0.20oz) in 0.80GAL (3L). I don't know what I was expecting but the solution is.... pretty clear. I mean it doesn't even have a small color, it just look like water.

I was expecting something more... brownish... I've seen pic of people with very brown solution, was it iodophor and I though it was starsan?

And people say don't fear the foam, but I was also expecting way more bubble and bigger than that. When I swirl the solution in the bottle it makes tiny white bubble. But I though picture I saw were very big brown bubbles.

Sorry for this weird question, I read too much stuff here that I think I get mixed up.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
After reading about almost everyone praise the godness of starsan I decided to give it a go instead of my k-sulfite (Which smell like s...).

Made my first dilution today.

5ml(0.20oz) in 0.80GAL (3L). I don't know what I was expecting but the solution is.... pretty clear. I mean it doesn't even have a small color, it just look like water.

I was expecting something more... brownish... I've seen pic of people with very brown solution, was it iodophor and I though it was starsan?

And people say don't fear the foam, but I was also expecting way more bubble and bigger than that. When I swirl the solution in the bottle it makes tiny white bubble. But I though picture I saw were very big brown bubbles.

Sorry for this weird question, I read too much stuff here that I think I get mixed up.
Yes, iodophore is brown (iodine). Starsan foams if you shake it, but other than that it's pretty much like you describe. Clear, colorless, odorless awesomeness.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 182

One trick- make a big batch, then recycle it- use a Ph strip to make sure it is still adequately acidic. I recycle mine for months and a number of batches. Rather spend money on grain, yeast, and hops!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Agree. I mix Starsan with distilled water and use it for months. I also use pH strips to check the acidity.

NRS

Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where do you get pH strips? LHBS? Can I grab it somewhere esle too?

I use tap water so it probably won't last as long as you guys.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Also if you put it in spray bottles it might not hurt to put a drop of food coloring in that distinguishes it!

Also makes it easier to see if you got full coverage when spraying an item.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Austin Homebrew has pH strips. I'm sure other homebrew supply stores would have them too.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/p...universal.html

NRS

Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
norsk
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I keep a 5 gal bucket of Starsan along with 2 spray bottles handy 24/7. Makes it easy to toss parts and hoses in the bucket and grab the spray bottle to spray everything else.

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2407 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Starsan may be colorless,but it's very easy & effective to use. It's a wet contact sanitizer that works in as little as 30 seconds. Let's say you sanitize your fermenter with it right before filling,& there's foam in the bottom. That's ok,it'll break down into yeast nutrient in the wort. Same with bottles on bottling day. I also use a small plastic funnel to run starsan through all my racking tubes,blow offs,etc. I like it because it doesn't stain like iodine based sanitizers. With your FV's being well cleaned,starsan can even help get rid of odors in my experiences.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank guys. Now I gotta find pH strips tests. Didn't find 'em on my LHBS price list.