How to know if wine has cleared/needs to be retransfered - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to know if wine has cleared/needs to be retransfered
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
matt6765
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 3


Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TXCrash's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
DFW
Posts: 27,083
Liked 3227 Times on 3129 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6765 View Post
Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt
If you're actually at .995, put er in the fridge for a couple days then transfer to tertiary. You'll probably have another 1/8" or so layer of sediment drop in tertiary. I'd bottle after a few weeks in tertiary.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You $&$&stik. You are my test. Part of it, anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
matt6765
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 3

Is a tertiary another carboy?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TXCrash's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
DFW
Posts: 27,083
Liked 3227 Times on 3129 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6765 View Post
Is a tertiary another carboy?
Yes. Tertiary is every "secondary" after secondary.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You $&$&stik. You are my test. Part of it, anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
matt6765
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCrash View Post
Yes. Tertiary is every "secondary" after secondary.
So to do this, I will just put the siphon in the wine and transfer it? Do I just avoid the layer of sediment by an inch or so, and how should I replace this now lost liquid? Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TXCrash's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
DFW
Posts: 27,083
Liked 3227 Times on 3129 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6765 View Post
So to do this, I will just put the siphon in the wine and transfer it? Do I just avoid the layer of sediment by an inch or so, and how should I replace this now lost liquid? Thanks!
Your siphon should have a cap which prevents the siphon from sucking up too much gunk on the bottom. Replace liquid with a like wine or distilled water or leave it be. In full disclosure I've made wine 3 times, though that has totaled to around 60 gallons.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You $&$&stik. You are my test. Part of it, anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mead cleared quickly Mitchell556 Mead Forum 4 02-08-2012 04:38 AM
IIIPA Cleared now Cloudy? HopHound914 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-01-2011 07:23 PM
Quickly cleared... bellaruche Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-02-2010 03:30 PM
The beer that has not Cleared ? JimmyNick Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-26-2009 04:34 PM
Ever had a beer that has not cleared up at all? wedge421 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 05-14-2008 01:08 AM


Forum Jump