Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dry hopping

Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
kjm13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default dry hopping

Hi all,
I currently have a IIPA fermenting that I am ready to dry hop. My secondary was recently pressed into service as a primary this past weekend when I decided to to a "blizzard brew". I have seen a lot of posts on here about how a secondary is not necessary, but a fair number of those posts do say "unless you are dry hopping or oaking or adding fruit", and others say you can dry hop in the primary.
Is there any benefit to using a secondary when dry hopping? I do have a friend I can borrow a carboy from, but then I would have to wait til tomorrow.
Any and all comments appreciated.
thanks.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
stirlingtrent
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've only done one IPA so far, but I did dry hop in the primary with no problem. Beer turned out excellent. Go for it!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I dry hop in primary. I wait until the beer hits FG, give it a week to begin clearing and then toss in the hops and let it sit- I usually go 7-10 days, then I cold crash for a day or two and bottle.

I do this for any beer I dry hop and it works great!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Some people will swear by not using a secondary while, others will say that you should use a primary because leaving the beer on top of yeast for extended durations can put off flavors into the beer and will hinder the effectiveness of dry hopping. Retailers recommend it probably because they get to sell more fermentors.

IMHO...
If you prefer not using a secondary, then don't then don't except for beers that you want extra clear, will be in the fermentor for more than a month, or that you will be dry hopping.

If you prefer using a secondary, I'd say do so for all beers except wheat beers.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 72

You gain a little more clarity from racking to secondary before the dryhop. And you avoid having the dryhops coated with yeast cells, which could possibly limit maximum aroma potential. But the risks outweigh the rewards. Oxygenation and infection are the main risks. You can still have a clear, highly aromatic beer if you don't rack to secondary. You just have to be careful with racking.