Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is long enough?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
befus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
Posts: 593
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How long is long enough?

Post below about my pitching ECY07 into a Wee Heavy and the wait for fermentation to begin is now over 40 hours. There is no activity whatsoever. What is the longest time you would give this to start before pitching another yeast to try and salvage a batch with almost $50 in it already? I am not a newbie, but do get nervous when fermentation lags over 24-30 hours. This is the longest I have ever had wort sit with no fermentation signs at all, thus the multiple posts. I have a Wyeast 1728 getting ready to go on the stir plate and am thinking I'll give the wee heavy 50 hours and go to plan B?


__________________
Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale


"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,
befus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,438
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Post below about my pitching ECY07 into a Wee Heavy and the wait for fermentation to begin is now over 40 hours. There is no activity whatsoever. What is the longest time you would give this to start before pitching another yeast to try and salvage a batch with almost $50 in it already? I am not a newbie, but do get nervous when fermentation lags over 24-30 hours. This is the longest I have ever had wort sit with no fermentation signs at all, thus the multiple posts. I have a Wyeast 1728 getting ready to go on the stir plate and am thinking I'll give the wee heavy 50 hours and go to plan B?
If you didn't do a starter with that beer then it's not surprising it's taking so long. Also, verify with a hydrometer since it could be going slow enough at this point that your airlock may not be bubbling (or you didn't see it).


afr0byte is offline
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,812
Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Default

Please note the sticky at the top of the beginner's forum......Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we're NOT referring to what an airlock does or doesn't do.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fuzzy2133's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 1,292
Liked 224 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
If you didn't do a starter with that beer then it's not surprising it's taking so long. Also, verify with a hydrometer since it could be going slow enough at this point that your airlock may not be bubbling (or you didn't see it).
I agree. I would take a second reading in a couple days if your first is still sitting at the OG before pitching.

EDIT: When you include what Revvy said that should put you at or past the 72 hrs mark.
__________________
Plotting: Jarrylo test batch, Azacca test batch
Primary: Sour Batch 1 with The Bruery dregs in primary (7/19/15)
Bottled/Aging: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14), Grandma's Liquid Apple Pie (1/17/15)
Drinking: AHA Big Brew Day Pale Ale (5/16/15), Left Hand Milk Stout Clone (a keg that will not die), and Good Beer
fuzzy2133 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
sloanfamilydsm
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 397
Liked 110 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

If it were mine and i had another yeast on hand that was the same style, I'd pitch it. It would also give you a chance to check the seal on your fermenter and a visual look to ensure fermentation hasn't began. I've never had one ferment without the airlock bubbling, but a hydrometer/refractometer reading and temp check might ease the anxiety.
sloanfamilydsm is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
befus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
Posts: 593
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Please note the sticky at the top of the beginner's forum......Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we're NOT referring to what an airlock does or doesn't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
If you didn't do a starter with that beer then it's not surprising it's taking so long. Also, verify with a hydrometer since it could be going slow enough at this point that your airlock may not be bubbling (or you didn't see it).
OK. I see I have stirred up the beer gods.

Revvy, I have been brewing since 1986 and have never had a wort sit on yeast more than 30 hours without overt signs of fermentation with or without a starter (I don't lager or do particularly cool ferments which may explain it partially) so I don't care if the beginners forum has six weeks posted as a fermentation time table, my experience has been different so I asked a question. This is a special brew in honor of my son and I don't want it messed up and since it will sit until next December before I will know if something wild got loose in there, I'm a little edgy and was hoping for early, obvious activity.

afr0byte, that's what I would have thought except ECY yeasts supposedly are between 3-400 billion cell counts, so I thought it might show early signs rather than late ones. I'll sit on this one against my better judgement, but thanks for your input.
__________________
Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale


"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,
befus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
befus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
Posts: 593
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy2133 View Post
I agree. I would take a second reading in a couple days if your first is still sitting at the OG before pitching.

EDIT: When you include what Revvy said that should put you at or past the 72 hrs mark.
That is what I plan on doing. Thanks.
__________________
Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale


"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,
befus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
befus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
Posts: 593
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfamilydsm View Post
If it were mine and i had another yeast on hand that was the same style, I'd pitch it. It would also give you a chance to check the seal on your fermenter and a visual look to ensure fermentation hasn't began. I've never had one ferment without the airlock bubbling, but a hydrometer/refractometer reading and temp check might ease the anxiety.
That is my inclination as well, but I will bow to the collective wisdom and wait 72 hours before doing so. Thanks also.
__________________
Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale


"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,
befus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,438
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
OK. I see I have stirred up the beer gods.

Revvy, I have been brewing since 1986 and have never had a wort sit on yeast more than 30 hours without overt signs of fermentation with or without a starter (I don't lager or do particularly cool ferments which may explain it partially) so I don't care if the beginners forum has six weeks posted as a fermentation time table, my experience has been different so I asked a question.

afr0byte, that's what I would have thought except ECY yeasts supposedly are between 3-400 million cell counts, so I thought it might show early signs rather than late ones. I'll sit on this one against my better judgement.
I hope you mean 3-400 billion cell counts? A normal white labs vial has about 100 billion cells (fresh). If you actually mean 3-400 million then you way under pitched.
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
befus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
Posts: 593
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
I hope you mean 3-400 billion cell counts? A normal white labs vial has about 100 billion cells (fresh). If you actually mean 3-400 million then you way under pitched.
Oops , my mistake, corrected now, thanks.


__________________
Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale


"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,
befus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaving a beer on the yeast cake; how long is too long? inhousebrew General Techniques 7 12-19-2012 01:48 AM
How long is to long to ferment a blue moon clone? benzy4010 Fermentation & Yeast 3 06-17-2012 07:51 PM
How long is to long? Bottle Conditioning Cherry Stout? baseballstar4 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 11-28-2011 03:47 PM
Oatmeal stout- how long in primary, how long in bottles? muggs Fermentation & Yeast 6 02-14-2011 08:49 PM
How long is long enough for a long primary weizen? TVarmy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-16-2010 02:37 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS